Console Trays

abypfcs

Reaction score
Every time it rains the two small trays, where I put my cell phone, car keys, etc. fill up with water.  While my boat is in for service, I am having the dealer install drains.  I know I could probably just have a sponge and towel to get rid of the water.

To me, this seems to be a design flaw, that could be fixed pretty easily.  The cup holders do have drains.

Or, you could put the cover on it when it rains.

Or, you could put the cover on it when it rains.
We actually had individual covers made from Sumbrella and usually have them on.  With the boat at our dock, and wanting to use it at least 3 or 4 times a week, it is a pain to take off all the covers each time to go out for an hour or so, at the end of the day.

I usually leave the covers on every thing, except Captains chair, Console and one other seat for my Wife.

We went out 7 days a week last season ( weather permitting ) 5 minutes off ,and that is unsnapping not ripping and at the most 10 minutes back on .

Make sure the dealer also installs a tube to direct the water away so it doesn't get on the inside where all the electrical connections are or you'll have much bigger problems!  I know what you're saying, but in defense of Bennington, their "design" was for you to have your cover on. Now if you were out in the water and it started to rain, well that's a different scenario. Come to think of it, I think my R actually does have drain holes on the top of the helm.

Even with the drains, I think you will still have some water in them.  The drain hole will have to have a fitting through it to attach the hose to, and that fitting will have a small ridge that will not let all the water drain away completely.  And that's if you pick the right corner or edge to put the hole...

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the dealer also installs a tube to direct the water away so it doesn't get on the inside where all the electrical connections are or you'll have much bigger problems!  I know what you're saying, but in defense of Bennington, their "design" was for you to have your cover on. Now if you were out in the water and it started to rain, well that's a different scenario. Come to think of it, I think my R actually does have drain holes on the top of the helm.
Yes, they have ordered the tubes for the draining.  I have back problems and even struggle to remove the seat covers.  At my age, if I had the full cover on the boat, it would never get used.  It sure makes sense to have drain holes, and I was not about to drill holes in the console, also realizing there needed to be a tube for the draining.

Even with the drains, I think you will still have some water in them.  The drain hole will have to have a fitting through it to attach the hose to, and that fitting will have a small ridge that will not let all the water drain away completely.  And that's if you pick the right corner or edge to put the hole...
Yes, they told me there would be a slight lip.  The drains will be at the back of the trays and at the right.

Google "through hull fitting" to see what I mean.  You will still be wiping either water or dirt left after the water dries.

I'd put them at the front of the trays on my boat.  My boat rides bow-high.  Water drains front to back...  Yours might be different though, but you might consider the stance of the boat (whether it sits level or not).

Yes, they have ordered the tubes for the draining.  I have back problems and even struggle to remove the seat covers.  At my age, if I had the full cover on the boat, it would never get used.  It sure makes sense to have drain holes, and I was not about to drill holes in the console, also realizing there needed to be a tube for the draining.
It was scary when I drilled the one big hole for my battery monitor!  Especially since the hole saw kind of "grabbed" the top layer of vinyl covering the dash at first!! Yes, I had it in reverse,  but had such little pressure that only one tooth grabbed at first!  Scared the crap out of me, that's when I started thinking. "hmm, wonder how much it costs to replace this part?" haha

I'd put them at the front of the trays on my boat.  My boat rides bow-high.  Water drains front to back...  Yours might be different though, but you might consider the stance of the boat (whether it sits level or not).
Water on mine also drains from front to back, so the back of the tray, is the low point, and where I am having them installed. If I put them at the front of the tray, there would be more water that would not drain.  I also realize there will be some water in the tray, due to the flange, but not 3/4 to 1 inch deep.  I will still need to probably swipe with my hand to be able to set my cell phone or keys there.

I to have r had same problem, got drywall anchor screws (small do not know what size) drilled hole in corners catacorered from each other then got little bit bigger bit to slightly drill hole bigger to counter sink then attached tubing then drilled out all the stuff on inside of drywall screws to catch screws. Spent oh bout 5$ only cuz I bought WAY to much tubing (bad habit wife hates it) Hadn't tried it out yet but today getting water to try it (curiosity) kept waiting for rain none yet il make it rain. Ps mine were yellow but lil girl had finger nail paint (before) so I painted them almost same color as trey can't really tell. I am from the south we all for some reason (wife will not understand AT ALL) will figure it out and do it out self just to say we did it. Another lil improvement this year in put two snaps on inside rail by driver seat and have dock lines right there on Velcro straps I can put there and just grap and give to whoever don't have to worry about them having to get them. I have only took boat to bayou to test new gps so I had lined on My lap whole time I was by myself. FYI

Oh and drilling first hole is always scary, but gets easier as u do improvements. Just measure measure measure and make sure it's right place LOL

Sounds like you are taking good care of your problem by installing the drains.  You might consider using a small zip-lock bag to protect your phone and keys.

I understand your fear of drilling holes in that beautiful Bennington furniture.  I bought my sink console without the optional fridge and later installed one.  That was a really big "painful" hole to have to cut.

I to have r had same problem, got drywall anchor screws (small do not know what size) drilled hole in corners catacorered from each other then got little bit bigger bit to slightly drill hole bigger to counter sink then attached tubing then drilled out all the stuff on inside of drywall screws to catch screws. Spent oh bout 5$ only cuz I bought WAY to much tubing (bad habit wife hates it) Hadn't tried it out yet but today getting water to try it (curiosity) kept waiting for rain none yet il make it rain. Ps mine were yellow but lil girl had finger nail paint (before) so I painted them almost same color as trey can't really tell. I am from the south we all for some reason (wife will not understand AT ALL) will figure it out and do it out self just to say we did it. Another lil improvement this year in put two snaps on inside rail by driver seat and have dock lines right there on Velcro straps I can put there and just grap and give to whoever don't have to worry about them having to get them. I have only took boat to bayou to test new gps so I had lined on My lap whole time I was by myself. FYI

Do you have any pictures of the final product?  I like the idea of counter-sinking the plugs.

Every time it rains the two small trays, where I put my cell phone, car keys, etc. fill up with water. While my boat is in for service, I am having the dealer install drains. I know I could probably just have a sponge and towel to get rid of the water.

To me, this seems to be a design flaw, that could be fixed pretty easily. The cup holders do have drains.
I have the same issue, seems a drain tube could be incorporated in the depression?
I have some interest / questions about the Inverness waterways, do you have an e mail address you'd feel comfortable giving me? thanks robrail

I believe mine has drains??? But it is never uncovered if we aren't on it.

Back