Cost effective Stereo upgrade solution

Just installed that head unit a few weeks ago! Awesome upgrade over the Sony unit that came from the factory!

I know this is an old thread but is the current unit still the same in terms of specs as the ones you guys have? I'm looking to upgrade my original Sony M6 unit but want to make sure the new model is comparable. Thanks

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dLDGu...MImLmtqZGC4wIVU4ezCh3hXA93EAQYASABEgIyZfD_BwE
Andy, I'd recommend calling Crutchfield and talking to someone about compatibility and other potential options. Are you really looking for something that plays CD's?

Don't really care about cd's. Just want my speakers to sound good. I like the fact that many on here have installed this unit with good results and it has bluetooth etc. And we mostly just listen to FM while on the boat. At least with this I can stream pandora or something if desired.

Don't really care about cd's. Just want my speakers to sound good. I like the fact that many on here have installed this unit with good results and it has bluetooth etc. And we mostly just listen to FM while on the boat. At least with this I can stream pandora or something if desired.
If you're not interested in CD's (and most people aren't these days) then I wouldn't pay for that option. Crutchfield has great adviser's that can help you find something that will work perfectly with all the features you want.

Another question for those that have installed this unit or units on the past. Did you just use the existing ground running to the harness from Bennington and splice into that? Additionally Anyone know what size wire Bennington uses for the yellow cable to the radio? Im 6’5” so it’s tight for me to get around in there and see well. I’m hoping to get the install completed tomorrow. Got the old unit out tonight along with the rain cover mount in the helm and have the new one in and the wiring harness spliced and shrink wrapped. Just need to get the power and ground sorted.

Another question for those that have installed this unit or units on the past. Did you just use the existing ground running to the harness from Bennington and splice into that? Additionally Anyone know what size wire Bennington uses for the yellow cable to the radio? Im 6’5” so it’s tight for me to get around in there and see well. I’m hoping to get the install completed tomorrow. Got the old unit out tonight along with the rain cover mount in the helm and have the new one in and the wiring harness spliced and shrink wrapped. Just need to get the power and ground sorted.
I ran both + and - back to the deep cycle. Inline fuse on the +

With my sps package and under skin it would be a pain to snake that around without pulling the boat off the lift. I’m thinking the yellow and ground off the acc switch are 14 gauge since they are on a 15 amp circuit. I might try those and see how it does as that is the minimum per the owners manual.

I used the existing wiring to see how well it would work before taking on the hassle of running new cable. The old stuff worked just fine, so I never upgraded. I have the Sony MEX XB100BT.

Last edited:
I also added this powered Rockford
Fosgate sub. Since I don't have a livewell, I used that circuit to power the sub. It's nice to have it on it's own switch/breaker. It has worked fine for a couple years now. I didn't run any new power cable. I just used the Bennington factory wiring. Easy. Works.

Last edited:
I also added this powered Rockford
Fosgate sub. Since I don't have a livewell, I used that circuit to power the sub. It's nice to have it on it's own switch/breaker. It has worked fine for a couple years now. I didn't run any new power cable. I just used the Bennington factory wiring. Easy. Works.

I had easy access to the bottom of the boat (underskin was removed for Sea Leg install) and wanted to guarantee full power to the head unit and sub (have the 10” RF) so I ran the dedicated wiring. Good to know it works off the factory wire as well.

Back