Cost of Fuel at Full Speed (WOT), at 3500 RPM (Cruising Speed) and at 2500 RPM (a Comfortable Slow S

Kaydano,  We have a cabin on a lake that is 29 miles long and maximum width is 6 miles which is right where we live.  We go EVERY weekend and while there we always go for long slow cruises, our normal cruise speed is 8 - 10 mph.  We very rarely anchor or beach at one of the islands [we often do a pub crawl cruising from one courtesy dock to another].  I am happy with the 115 UNTIL we have ten or twelve people on board [probably less than 5% of the time] and that is when I wanted the 150.  I talked to my local marina and about a month ago he called me and said he thought he had a buyer for my used Yamaha 115 if I wanted to sell and buy the 150.  Can't remember the exact numbers but it was well over $5000 and at this point I just couldn't do it.  We are going to have the wave shield put on and we are considering the lifting strakes for now.  The way new innovative designs come out that make me drool I figure In a few years I will either do the Derrick or repower

Kaydano,

What kind of fuel efficiency gauge did you buy for your testing?  I would love to get one.  Did you have the dealer put it in for you or did you install it yourself?  What kind of installation costs did it run (if you don't mind me asking)?  Is there a particular on-line site where there are fuel efficiency gauges that you would recommend?  I've looked on some of these sites before and decided against it, but now that I see your numbers, I am inspired again to consider having one installed when my boat comes in.

David

Way to go, Kaydano.  It is always best to get data from the same boat using the same propeller!   Excellent presentation.

I guess the 70 year old boater I quoted may have been wrong.

David
Just to be clear, my 115 and 150 use different props.  They are not interchangeable.

I don't have a fuel consumption gauge.  My speed and RPM measurements are actual data from both of my engines, but I used Mercury's performance bulletins, much like you have with Yamaha, to figure out the fuel consumption.

I disagree with the above/below plane comment made somewhere.  For any given speed, my 150 will use less gas than my 115 did.  Up to the point where the 150 actually goes faster (MPH) than the 115 did.  At that point, of course the 150 will use more gas, but you are getting greater speeds out of it.

At idle speed of about 600 RMPs (note I'm referring to the same RPM, not the same speed) my 150 pushes the boat nearly twice as fast as my 115 did.  Granted we're only talking a couple MPHs here, but it is significant in tight quarters and docking.  In the harbor, my 115 in gear at idle left no trace of a wake at all, while my 150 in gear at idle leaves a noticeable wake.  It is very small, but you can see it.  The 115 left no trace.  In tight quarters and docking situations, I find myself having to shift from Neutral to Forward quite a bit more with the 150 to keep the boat speed slow enough to maneuver safely.

I've spent hours pouring over the performance bulletins when I was making the decision to upgrade to the 150.  I found that hull design makes FAR more difference than boat weight.  For example, a two pontoon hull with no strakes is painfully slower than a tritoon with strakes, even if the tritoon is 1000 lbs heavier.  Weight factors into it, but not as much as the hull. 

I think there was only a 40 lb difference in weight between my old 115 and the new 150.

Kaydano,

It sounds like you did a lot of homework and I am glad you are happy with your engine.  As you see in my signature, I too ordered a 150 HP engine for my pontoon boat.  I think we both made a great choice.  Happy 'tooning, Kaydano.

David 

Ha ha ha.  I did my homework.  But my timing was off a little.  Should have done the homework sooner, as my decision cost me about $5k on the trade!  You made a good decision to go with the 150.

The 115 vs 150 seems to be a popular problem people struggle with. I just try to provide what I learned as it comes up on the forum to help others make the best choice they can (115 is a good choice for some, the 150 for others).  You made your choice already, but I'm sure there are some members reading this stuff that are trying to decide what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does help Kaydano! I assure you my next boat will be a 150. As I sort of said earlier; I only got into boating 3 years ago [and fell so in love we bought a cabin on the lake as well]. In the 2 years I have been on this forum I am amazed at how much the new models progress over last years model [right Derrick?] so rather than spend $5000+ now on my 2012 I think I will wait a few years and then take the $5000 loss on waiting to trade my boat in.

Nothing would start retirement off better than a new Benny!!! Derrick, please provide Link with your financial advisors number would ya!!

Don't have to ask him Andy, when I was considering it I PM'd with Derrick on FB.  I am betting that if I repowered now and spent that money I would be pissed 3 - 5 years from now when I saw the new innovations that came out and wished I would have just waited and bought a new boat

You have it figured out Link. I had those thoughts, but just couldn't wait 4 years or my oldest would be off to college by then. Too bad we spent her college money on the boat!!! Ha ha ha, not really. Not like we got an "R," or anything. You are right about changes coming fast and furious to the pontoon industry. Waiting its good if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good man sticking to your goals. I could think of worst boats to be stuck with for a few years than an R series Benny!!!! We've got it too good on here!

I downloaded and emailed that picture of Link in the gallery to my office.  I plan to print a life-sized version on our 48 inch CAD plotter and hang it in my office.

Please don't do that kaydano, I did exactly that because I was planning on placing it over our fireplace and when we got it back I saw how fat it made me look 

Some photoshop can change that mr 6 pack!

Back