Cost to upgrade... Frustrated?

Dmonnny123

Reaction score
In Wisconsin.

Bought a new 2019 23ssxbp.. one they had in stock. No motor in it.. just setup with Yami controls.

Closed the deal.. initially with Yami F115.

After this damn forum.. .. I realized I needed the F150 Yami..:D

Dealer said it's no problem.. we will just order one and rig it. No big deal, 150 has same controls, and also comes with an upgraded stainless Yami prop as opposed to the aluminum on the 115

Cost is flat 4,000.

Now I'm seeing and hearing in here that that price for the 115 to the 150 upgrade is crazy! People have paid half that etc etc. Which obviously makes me upset.. and so I went into the dealer and they said that's his cost.. they do it all the time.. this comes with the Yami recommend 3 blade stainless prop, he's not making any money off me on the switch, I just have to pay the price difference. ($4,000) Etc etc.

That said, I paid it. They didn't have any in stock and so Engine is on its way from the factory in tWashington State to WI, as we speak.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
There can be lots of factors impacting costs, and upgrade costs. You are buying a boat off the lot. And you are doing it as the start of boating season for us northern mid-westerners. Everything...everything is a premium cost this time of year.

Many of us boughtt at boat shows, or during fall to winter change over, or during promotional time periods, or in the off season. That equals great deals sometimes. Also, many of us ordered boats during those time periods and in that process had lots of negotiating power to make the deal happen. Thus, some costs here and there get reduced or obscured when the motor is part of that over all negotiated price.

I think a lot of the above is probably accounting for this discrepancy. I don’t really know the net/gross differences in the cost between those motors, but I’m not surprised it would be that much. Particularly this time of year, and outside of a negotiated and ordered boat.

Last edited:
There can be lots of factors impacting costs, and upgrade costs. You are buying a boat off the lot. And you are doing it as the start of boating season for us northern mid-westerners. Everything...everything is a premium cost this time of year.

Many of us boat at boat shows, or during fall to winter change over, or during promotional time periods, or in the off season. That equals great deals sometimes. Also, many of us ordered boats during those time periods and in that process had lots of negotiating power to make the deal happen. Thus, some costs here and there get reduced or obscured when the motor is part of that over all negotiated price.

I think a lot of the above is probably accounting for this discrepancy. I don’t really know the net/gross differences in the cost between those motors, but I’m not surprised it would be that much. Particularly this time of year, and outside of a negotiated and ordered boat.

I honestly agree with you.. thanks for the well written response!

The dealer is actually a pretty nice guy and was a little offended at my accusals of ripping me off.

Last edited:
The ones that upgraded to the 150 hp for a lot less probably paid for it somewhere else in the deal. Usually the dealer works off a margin and will maintain a minimum percentage. It might be more useful to compare the total price of the package. As long as the “all in” price is good it doesn’t really matter how they get to that number.

I honestly agree with you.. thanks for the well written response!

The dealer is actually a pretty nice guy and was a little offended at my accusals of ripping me off.
I just checked the Bennington website for building a boat. The MSRP difference between a 115 Yamaha and a 150 is about $3,600. A $4K difference at the dealer to upgrade does not seem too out of line.

Well to compare "all in" prices..

I got a 2019 23ssxbp swing back lounger/ fast back with a ton of upgrades and options, that when I go to the Bennington website and build, the price is listed at $73,500.

All in, including the upgraded 150hp, I paid Around 28% off build site.

So.?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to compare "all in" prices..

I got a 2019 23ssxbp swing back lounger/ fast back with a ton of upgrades and options, that when I go to the Bennington website and build, the price is listed at $73,500.

All in, including the upgraded 150hp, I paid $52,800

So.?...
We bought our Benny used so my opinion is not from experience but 28% off MSRP seems like good deal to me.

You will not regret. Swallow hard and bite that bullet. It WILL be worth it.

I have to agree with bite the bullet, I was in the same boat and 7 years later I still regret the savings choice I made

Without all the details, pricing looks good, if you built in on the boat builder and got 28% off list this time of year you’re doing quite fine! Sign on the dotted line and get your summer started!!

You'll forget all about the price difference once you get past the break in period and can go full throttle! Congrats on the new boat and our apologies on spending your money!

28% off MSRP this time of year seems like a GREAT deal to me. Comparing the overall price is really about the only thing you can reliably do. As others above said, and that 28% quantifies, you got a great deal. You got pretty much everything you wanted, or was suggested. Once you get on the water, most all second guessing will fade away as you and your family enjoy it. Time to move forward in anticipation of some great boating ahead.

Congratulations on the boat. I hope you post some pictures once you have it on the water. Happy boating!

You bought a GREAT boat and trust me, you'll be happy that you upgraded to the 150. There is a huge performance leap between 115 to 150 per many users here who've made the switch. (And my test drive of both. Nothing wrong with a 115 for most uses BTW, but water sports with a full boat makes a difference). It will also help on resale value if you decide that you "need a bigger boat" in the years ahead LOL.

Forget resale, your enjoyment this summer and future summers will be payback enough. As noted by others, there isn't an incentive for any dealer to take a loss on a single component in your build because there is no way for him/her to maintain any margin after you already negotiated the price for everything else, and it's easier to sell boats right now at the start of the season in northern US/Canada. They don't feel the need to move a boat without their margin. It's just good business.

You did fine! I did a crazy amount of price shopping and ordered when the most incentives were offered and only did a few percent better. Good job! :cool:

BTW upgrading to the 150hp was a very good decision!! Sometimes you have to spend money to save money in the long run. Ask me how I know :confused:

Last edited:
If it's not too late and you think that you can squeeze a bit more out them you can try to get them to throw a small thing or two in like: water/fuel separator, spare for trailer, boat fenders, ect. Never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no.

Well you definitely got a good deal. I only got about 15% off of list but got them to throw in an additional table base, the coastguard safety kit, fenders and the Taylor made fender clips, additional life vests including children’s sizes. I did go for the 150 hp and am glad I did. Overall I’m thrilled with the price I got, considering there were no used benny’s With the configure I wanted within 200 miles of where I live. Also looking at the price of used ones of similar configuration with only a couple of years on them, they were only coming in at 5-10k less than new. I may have been able to do better, but I got my boat and I am thrilled.

If it's not too late and you think that you can squeeze a bit more out them you can try to get them to throw a small thing or two in like: water/fuel separator, spare for trailer, boat fenders, ect. Never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no.
Haha Oh I've asked!! And they started to get mad lol. Told me all.but to.walk away if this wasn't ok. Said no money left in the deal

Back