Cost Upgrade Engine $8500

H2GO

Reaction score
I asked my dealer to give me a price to swap my Yamaha 115 to a 150 on a 2017 Bennington with 62 hours on it. Quoted price is $8500. Trade in for my 115 = $6500. Cost for new motor $15000. The trade-in seems really low for an almost new motor. Anyone done this before? I would almost be better off ordering a new pontoon and selling the old one myself. I might be hitting the big water more often and it would be nice to have a little more speed. Any thoughts about the price folks?

I swapped my 115 for a 150 about 4 years ago with 134 hours on it, It was worth every penny to me. Price of the motor your getting went up about 3k since then. Its all in what is important to the individual. Power difference is incredible. My only regret I couldn't get a 350 to hang on the back!

Sorry my swap cost was 6500.00

I was at $5000.00 to upgrade 2014 ,150 ( 1 season, aprox 50 hrs ) to a 2015 , 200 .Then we found out the the controls needed to be upgraded to digital . That made it cost prohibitive .

I was at $5000.00 to upgrade 2014 ,150 ( 1 season, aprox 50 hrs ) to a 2015 , 200 .Then we found out the the controls needed to be upgraded to digital . That made it cost prohibitive .

And I was willing to buy Jack's 150 (we are both in N. Michigan) to upgrade from my previous 115.

I bought a new boat with 150/SPS instead.

And I was willing to buy Jack's 150 (we are both in N. Michigan) to upgrade from my previous 115.

I bought a new boat with 150/SPS

I think you may be happier the way it turned out

"I think you may be happier the way it turned out."

Indeed I am. SPS>Express Tube.

What bigger water will you be going out on? I don't think the motor will be the limiting factor as the tube setup might be the issue there depending on anticipated use. Also, our last boat had a 115 and two toons with strakes, sold it after 3 months of use and ordered what we have now with the sps and 200. No regrets.

What bigger water will you be going out on? I don't think the motor will be the limiting factor as the tube setup might be the issue there depending on anticipated use. Also, our last boat had a 115 and two toons with strakes, sold it after 3 months of use and ordered what we have now with the sps and 200. No regrets.

I guess I should have clarified. Torch Lake would be the most visited larger body of water and I don't like not being able to keep up with my buddy. :(

Keeping up with the Joneses gets expensive!!! What does your buddy have?

Keeping up with the Joneses gets expensive!!! What does your buddy have?
23 foot Crownline with a 305 I/O. Yeah I need to get over it. :)

My buddy has a nice Monterey. V8, looks sharp, and is only 4mph faster than my 24' living room with a 4 banger!

The dealer is trying to take advantage of you. The F150 motor should cost around $12k on a repower. The best prices on Yamaha motors are when the motor comes through Bennington on a new boat--purchased at fleet/volume prices.

Recently, Mercury and Suzuki has had the repowering mopped up because they both sell engines directly to their retail dealers far, far cheaper than Yamaha.

See JacosMarine.com for their Mercury pricing--the cheapest online dealer. They are just 40 miles from me--85 miles south of Nashville. They are getting about $10.5k for for their new 150 FourStrokes.

I am perfectly good with my F150.

Back