Covering boat while transporting

Jimmyb

Reaction score
Reading through this forum I see that Bennington does not recommend having the mooring cover on while transporting/trailering the boat. On my older pontoon I used to always leave the cover on. What does everyone do while transporting? Leave it open? What if there is bad weather?

I take my cover off given the recommendations. Kind of a headache, plus risk of things blowing out and more road dirt.

Leave the cover off. They are not designed to be transported with them on. Also put your Bimini top in it's trailer/lowest position for transport. Whenever I have trailered our boat long distances I've been lucky with good weather. But if it rains just wipe everything down with a towel and enjoy your boat at your destination......

Unless you are going a short distance or traveling at 10 mph, follow Bennington's advice. Taking time to clean any mess up upon your arrival is much cheaper than replacing a mooring cover. It's got "mooring" in its name for a reason.

I never transport with cover on. If it rains on the way, things just get wet. They’ll dry. Not going to risk destroying my cover or allowing a destroyed cover to bang up mu playpen.

Back