Cracked Power tilt/trim reservoir, anyone ever had that?

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Hi gang,
Well, kind-a new here and, not sure if this is where to ask/post this. We have a new to us, 2014 Bennington 2550RCL or, 25L for short. It's fitted with the Yamaha 350HP V-8 and, a 16.25 x 17" Saltwater Series Polished Stainless Prop. Since we purchased it, about a little over a week ago, we've only had it out twice. Well, as I finished backing it in the garage the second time, I walked back to check on things and, what's this? A pink, frothy puddle on the floor, just below the tilt area. NOT GOOD! Well, that whole area, around both trim rams and, the power tilt ram, was wet with oil. So, I broke out my carb cleaner and sprayed that entire area and washed away all that residue. Within just a minute or two, it was dripping oil again, hmmmmm.

So, I sprayed it all down again and, walked around it and looked everywhere. I thought it was a seal at first. But, upon closer examination, you see in the picture what I found. It's a cracked PTT reservoir! Now, how in the world did/does this happen? Now, since this happened, I've dug around on line and found the service manual for my engine. It's the F-350A service manual. Basically, from what I've read in that service manual, there is NO PRESSURE in the reservoir, at any time. All the pressure is in the three rams, at various times. All the residual hydraulic oil, is sent back to the reservoir. kind-a makes sense there.

Now, based on the presentation of the "frothy" pink, I'm guessing that water infiltrated that system. Not a big deal. I mean, the reservoir has to be replaced anyways so, the system's gonna have to be flushed and bled. But, just wondering, have ANY of you, at least the ones reading this, EVER had the power tilt/trim plastic reservoir crack? This boat/engine had only 24 hours on it, when we purchased it. It now has a whopping 29.9 hours. See what you think.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 47
If there was (is) water in the oil, depending where you live, it froze in the winter and cracked it. Same theory as to why you should change lower unit oil in the fall instead of spring (in cold climates). Water can freeze and crack lower unit housing.

No Sir, no freezing here. This boat, as stated, was just purchased by us and, with only 24 hours on it. There was no leak when we purchased it and, even when we took it out for the first time and backed it back into the garage. I've been all around, under and on top of that boat, a zillion times and, this was the first of that leak. And, it's been in the 90's here. So, for whatever reason, that reservoir decided to crack. A new one is on order from our dealer and, should be installed in a few days.
Scott

Are you sure that reservoir is plastic? Mine was cast aluminum. I'd say there was a factory defect or it got dropped.

I know this is the Benny forum, but you might try posting your question on the bandofboaters.com forum. There are a couple of seriously expert Yamaha dealers (Parker Yacht) there from S Florida who may know the answer. They have tons of experience with F300's and F350's.

Thanks guys for your replies. As for the possibility of that reservoir being dropped, well, doubt it. The reason is, in the five years of age and only 24 hours on it, and, it only being on the water 5 times in 5 years, we were on it 2 of those 5 times. And we helped put it away each time. Each time this boat was stored, it had no drips anywhere. We take possession of it, use it twice and, it's now got a drip. It's easily determined it's a cracked PTT reservoir. As for it being plastic or aluminum, it, at this time, appears to be plastic. It show no difference in color at the crack, like an anodized aluminum one would do. You'd have black outside color and, the thickness/crack section, would be an aluminum color. That's not the case here.
Scott

Back