Cup holders

The more lights the better. Cup holder lights impact nothing. I agree nothing should impact navigation lights but I have seen nothing on with LEDs to suggest they do that.

I agree Jeff, the exterior lights do make the navigation lights hard to see, which is a safety issue. It is hard to accept but that is true. The lights inside that do not affect the navigation lights should be allowed in my option.

Not trying to be argumentative, and just stating why the rules are as they are.

Agree 100% in following the rules the way they are. As I stated in another post, however, US Coast Guard Regulations do not apply to my lake because there is no physical way to boat to the coast. I follow all the laws and regulations that do apply to my lake. None of those laws or regulations forbid me from running lights in addition to the traditional red/green/white. (We can't display flashing blue lights and docking lights are to be used only for docking.) With the history on my lake, I feel A LOT safer with the additional lights.

One additional thought for everyone to consider - the marine bulletin raises an important point about the vessel operators OWN ability to maintain a proper lookout. In order to preserve your night vision low levels of red light are best, but I’ve read the military also uses other select colors. Regardless, if running all sorts of lights inside your fence at night please be careful that it does not hinder your ability to see other boats or obstructions. LED’s are especially intense - on my river there are plenty of things to run into so my night vision needs to be completely unimpaired to avoid ending up on some accident report.

Back