Curved Bimini Vrs Standard?

David G

Reaction score
I had a 22SSX w/ Standard Top. It was not very sturdy and hard to raise and lower alone. I have a loaner R23 with Curved Bimini and love it. It is super easy to raise and lower.
Ordered new boat and thought i checked box with Curved Top. Boat came in with standard top. i am thinking pay to remove it and add top. Dealer said its a big deal, but I really wanted the curved top. My old boat was a 2014 model. I wonder it the 20 models have a better top?

I purchased a 2019 22 GSR and the standard top is very easy to raise and lower. The dealer actually talked me out of adding a power Bimini.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 31
I have the curved power bimini. Largely a push bottom job other than take the bimini cover off. I would never go any other route. LOVE IT!!!

My dealer talked me out of the power bimini top and I regret it every time we take the boat out. :(

I was told the drive motor for the Bimini top had plastic gears that were prone to failure due to the stresses they needed to withstand. The motors have approximately a 1 year lifespan. Anyone know if this is true?

I was also talked out of the power Bimini due to the plastic gears that are prone to failure. I have a 2019 with standard Bimini, and it is a super easy, one person job to raise and lower it.

I was told the drive motor for the Bimini top had plastic gears that were prone to failure due to the stresses they needed to withstand. The motors have approximately a 1 year lifespan. Anyone know if this is true?

On year three with our electric bimini, and never a hick-up. I’ve heard of some concerns, but nothing like a 1 year lifespan, and ours is on year 3.

My thought when we ordered was with a 10 year warranty, so long as I get close to that, even if it needs a future warranty replacement in that time frame, I’d be good to go after that with use vs. cost.

However, to date, never a hick-up with it.

David G, are you asking about the standard straight bimini vs. the curved bimini (manual, not powered) or are you asking about the power bimini?

David G, are you asking about the standard straight bimini vs. the curved bimini (manual, not powered) or are you asking about the power bimini?
What I was wondering as well. If so, it is no big deal at all. Your dealer should be able to order a pontoon in with a curved bimini and simply swap with you for the price differential plus labor.

What I was wondering as well. If so, it is no big deal at all. Your dealer should be able to order a pontoon in with a curved bimini and simply swap with you for the price differential plus labor.

I thought I checked box on the curved Bimini. But I did not, Just curious if the regular bimini is hard to raise and lower? I ordered Boat and it is waiting for me at dealer. Pick it up Tuesday.

I thought I checked box on the curved Bimini. But I did not, Just curious if the regular bimini is hard to raise and lower? I ordered Boat and it is waiting for me at dealer. Pick it up Tuesday.

I can't say that I have ever noticed a difference in effort required to operate either one.

Curved is easier.
Another question? What is max speed with Bimini raised??

I am an accessory guy - I like technology - I even want a rear camera - having said all that to say , my dealer also talked me out of the power Bimini -

I am an accessory guy - I like technology - I even want a rear camera - having said all that to say , my dealer also talked me out of the power Bimini -

I am curious; what did the dealer say to dissuade you as I age I thought that might be a nice option

Curved is easier.
Another question? What is max speed with Bimini raised??
We have been 40-41mph with no problem. Our Bimini stays up the whole summer. We used to put it back in it's boot and store it in the radar position every time we used the boat. But we got smart and left it up. (Lazy)

I agree - I think it is a great option and I wanted to check the box - It wasn't a $$ thing for me - I just went through this a few weeks ago so its pretty fresh in my mind. I told my sales lady (dana) I wanted a power top - she got quiet, then said "I am going to be honest - I dont recommend that". I wasnt sure what that meant - in my mind I figured it had something to do with it being more work or longer to close the sale something along those lines. Well after they agreed to install a dual bank charger and a few other little accessories I saw they were more then willing to accommodate me. I went back to the top and asked " why dont you recommend the power top" - She brought the service mgr over and he said "they are having issues" - he said he has seen a few he thought the issue was from people driving to fast with the top deployed and another with a stripped gearing - said the manual top was just stronger. Now it obviously has a 10yr warranty so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me - I just weighed out my situation - in a dock on a lift at the cabin and 2 hours away from the dealer so I chose to go manual just for an inconvenience factor and no close repair option if I had an issue. Since I went manual I then went to a double top - I know we played with a floor model and it looked ok but I didnt put any stress on the mechanism. I know regency also does power tops with rear cameras for watching who you are towing - It's pretty neat option imo and other mfrs are heading this route. I also like the camera and believe simrad has an input i can utilize to make that happen.

Reviving a dead thread. 40mph with the Bimini up sounds marvelous, but when I get up to 22-23mph the curved Bimini keeps popping out. I adjusted the support arms forward and backwards to change the angle and it did not really help. Those clips appear backwards (wouldn’t it make more sense if the “c” faced the other way since the wind is trying to push it aft??) and those dog-ear tabs don’t actually retain the bar.

Maybe the dealer installed wrong or I’m not setting up correctly, but there is no way I think I can run to 40. The boat will do 46-47 WOT so it’s a bummer and a PITA to constantly put up and down. Are there aftermarket gadgets that help keep the top in place? Maybe upgrade to a hard top or the power Bimini?

Thanks

My non-powered curved Bimini has seen well over 22-23 with no issues. It does have a sticker that says max speed of 25 if I recall correctly, but the salesman said they’ve never had any issues with the curved running wide open with a 250. He did say the power curved bimini is much more sensitive to speed.

Our "C" shaped clips (curved top) face rearward, so they would tighten with wind and speed, not pop out.

I installed clips for extra security to hold my top in place. Right now I am using a bungee cord on each side till I get my cables made. I have been 47 MPH with top up. We have done 44-45 many times and no issues.

Back