Damaged trailer ideas

gnirwin

Reaction score
Having been quarantined from New York I called the marina to pull my boat from my slip and I made a mad dash over to return my boat to Ohio. Apon arriving I discovered someone had crashed into my trailer. The marina wants to say its not their fault and my insurance deductible is more than the damage. So to keep from having a pizzing contest with the marina Im goingbto fix myself. Im hrading back over tomorrow and my thoughts are im going to cut the square tubing back 6 to 8 inches and install a new receiver. I will lose some distance where i can back the boat into the water but am I doing anything to the trailers safety etc. That I am not aware of?

Attachments

• 20200808_125931.jpg
    20200808_125931.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200808_124247.jpg
    20200808_124247.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 80
I am not an insurance expert and hoping Lakeliving will chime in but I would think that if they are in possession of your trailer they are responsible for any damages

Yes, the manager acted like he didn't want to take responsibility. I pay a thousand bucks to have my boat docked and my trailer stored

I'm with Link. The marina has to have some kind responsibility and insurance to cover incidents like this. Are there surveillance cameras in the area?

I'm with Link. The marina has to have some kind responsibility and insurance to cover incidents like this. Are there surveillance cameras in the area?
Yes, but they just focusvon the dock area. Not the shop area

I’m guessing your tongue weight will change. You’ll probably need to adjust your bunk stops.

The marina should have a general liability policy that will cover bodily injury and in this case, property damage to others property. The fact that they do not know what happened or who did it is not your fault. You didn’t tow it there like that so it clearly happened...on their premises. I’d also go through your lease agreement and see who bears risk of loss as they might have been slippery and waived any liability for damage while on their lot. If that’s the case you’re on your own. What’s odd to me is I don’t know how someone could cause that extent of damage. Does this place use a forklift?

Yes, the 2 vertical carpeted 2x4's that the front deck comes to rest on when your boat is all the way on the trailer.....

The marina should have a general liability policy that will cover bodily injury and in this case, property damage to others property. The fact that they do not know what happened or who did it is not your fault. You didn’t tow it there like that so it clearly happened...on their premises. I’d also go through your lease agreement and see who bears risk of loss as they might have been slippery and waived any liability for damage while on their lot. If that’s the case you’re on your own. What’s odd to me is I don’t know how someone could cause that extent of damage. Does this place use a forklift?
Yes they do. It does look like a fork hit it now that you mention that!

just cut the min. amount off the tongue you can re drill trailer hitch and re bolt with correct size quality bolts and re attach safety cables and you should be good to go. this short amount of tongue loss will not change balance that much. Mabey the marina will do it for free it you supply the hitch. be sure to slide the wires back in tube when you cut the tongue.

just cut the min. amount off the tongue you can re drill trailer hitch and re bolt with correct size quality bolts and re attach safety cables and you should be good to go. this short amount of tongue loss will not change balance that much. Mabey the marina will do it for free it you supply the hitch. be sure to slide the wires back in tube when you cut the tongue.
That is my initial idea like I stated but there is a bitbof twist in the tube and without a straight edge I couldnt tell how far back.

Do you trust them to perform this simple task? Sounds to me like they could screw up a wet fart.
Thats a story for another post. No, I have no confidence. I bought the pontoon a few months back but kept another boat there for many years. I never let them touch my boat mechanically after the first year I was there. My original post I stated i'm going to fix myself and was wondering If ai was overlooking anything by shortening the tongue.

The marina is taking responsibility for the damage. They, pervmy instructions, are cutting off the end and replacing the receiver.

Back