Dead battery blues

lakeliving

Reaction score
So I’m on my original main battery with my boat and I believe it’s time for a new one. Went to go out this evening and the motor wouldn’t turn over. The lights on the accessory switches seemed very dim. Threw the battery on a charger and it read 12.66v so the charger said it was charged and essentially shut off. I then took one of my hardwired charger leads off one of my trolling motor batteries and tried that charger. Couple minutes later it showed charged. Tried to fire the motor and again nothing. All the accessories work though. I remember the fish finder shows volts so I look there and it shows 9.1 but works it’s way up to 12.3. I then start to worry if there is a motor issue so I jump the main battery with a trolling motor battery and the motor fires up. So I’m thinking someone is toast in the battery. Would have much rather been on the water this afternoon but happy it happened at the dock and not when we’re trying to leave a sandbar. 623A8E43-B02B-4A25-AA53-C0BA7C3AF69C.jpeg3F1BA37F-0C45-42F5-90C1-13E5D737AA54.jpeg

Last edited:
6 years .... not bad.

Glad you were dockside, and didn’t get stranded somewhere. Bummer on having your plans derailed and then having to mess with it.

We had issues with battery #1 in July and it sidelined us overnight so I could top it off with a slow charge. 6 years seems like a nice run with your battery. Mine are on their 4th summer now.

Based on the comment above, I too might be interring a time of needing to be diligent on checking them better or replacing at some point sooner rather than later.

I have used Odyssey PC2150's, 5-6 years, always replace them at the same time.

Batteries are relatively inexpensive. Sounds like change them every 4 years to be safe?

Six years is about what my experience has been. Next year will be the sixth season for my batteries so I'll be taking them in to be tested next spring before I install them.

Mine lasted 5 years. Wasn’t dead but saw it coming and with only one battery in the boat changed it out

Good to hear Lakeliving! My 1st battery an Interstate lasted 10 yrs. We were really lucky! The 2nd one an AC Delco lasted 2 yrs. So you never know what you're going to get!

Back