Dealer response to new prop and question on tether switch

Scott1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My dealer seems to think that the engine over revving with the 17P prop they put on is not there issue.

I told them I am sure Mecury would void the warranty if I was over revving and I specifically asked them to put an 18P prop on which they did not.

I sent an email to the General Manager and awaiting his reply.  If he disagrees with me, is there someone at Bennigton I should contact?  I would think the dealer would be responsible for this?  I honestly don't know what the big deal is as my prop is new and they can just put it on another boat.

Also, I noticed my tether switch where the run/stop is on the dash may be missing the cover.  It is just black and I can see the two screws, anyone know?  Where would I get something like this?  I don't want to overwhelm my dealer with little stuff like this when I have bigger fish to fry.

My trailer also has two bald tires on the right side, but the left side is perfect.  I am just going to deal with this on my own.

Thanks

You spent alot of money on that boat! Make a checklist for your dealer and give it to him so he can remedy each one.

Is your trailer new? If so.....it has bald tires? Not acceptable! Add it to the checklist!

My dealer swapped my prop after the 20 hours of break in, no issue. You're situation may be a bit unique but I wouldn't think distance would matter to them if the prop is as new.

My dealer switched my prop out 3 times no charge. All they told me is if you hit something its yours. Safety csp snd trailer are both dealer problems not yours, you spent big money you should demand it be right.

My dealer would complain about swapping my prop out even if I paid for each one of them outright. I asked before my last boat if he would work with me on it before the sale and he just said no way. It sounds like most aren't as awful though. 

With that said, I have a terrible dealer that I expect almost nothing from and I would still totally demand the switch and tires get fixed by them. 

Thanks guys,

My issue with the prop is I told them I wanted an 18P, they put on a 17P and it is not enough pitch as it over revs at WOT.  I would think this would be a concern of the dealer and they would want to work with me.  I honestly do not know what the big deal is of just swapping the prop with me, the thing is new and they will just put it on another boat that they feel would fit that application.

The trailer definitely has an alignment issue or something.  The problem is I bought the boat so far away that it is not really worth the argument with the dealer, I will just fix it.

I would assume if I contact Bennington and let them know my boat was set up in a way that would void the Merc warranty that they would be concerned, am I wrong?  Maybe I am just fighting a losing battle.  It just irks me when the dealer is not even going to lose out on any money, I will pay for shipping if they are that tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
dh_entertainment_7_677x380_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

There are very, very few boats that ever use a 17 pitch propeller.  Most of the toons sold with 150 hp use a 14 or 15 pitch prop.  Smaller engine toons might use an aluminum 11 pitch.  The dealer's thinks he's going to be stuck paying $400 for the 18 pitch prop and he may never be able to use that 17 pitch prop.

But if you told him you wanted an 18 pitch prop, he should have accommodated you.

You bet the trailer has an alignment issue, and it needs to go to a real trailer shop for diagnosis.  In reality, the trailer manufacturer needs to replace the two axles and two tires.  Go to the manufacturer and discuss your dealer problem.  With parts in hand, a compressor and air wrench, replacing axles just takes a few minutes.  FYI:  The bent axle is a safety issue, so it's important.

Save your breath talking to Bennington about the propeller.  They care how your boat performs, but propping the boat is between the dealer and you.  I'm sure their customer service department would like to know how you're treated.  Maybe their dealer sales rep has some influence with your dealer. 

The warranty is between you and Mercury.

Don't give in too easily to paying for anything.  All you ask is that your boat performs up to its potential and that the boat and the trailer are right.

There are very, very few boats that ever use a 17 pitch propeller.  Most of the toons sold with 150 hp use a 14 or 15 pitch prop.  Smaller engine toons might use an aluminum 11 pitch.  The dealer's thinks he's going to be stuck paying $400 for the 18 pitch prop and he may never be able to use that 17 pitch prop.

But if you told him you wanted an 18 pitch prop, he should have accommodated you.

You bet the trailer has an alignment issue, and it needs to go to a real trailer shop for diagnosis.  In reality, the trailer manufacturer needs to replace the two axles and two tires.  Go to the manufacturer and discuss your dealer problem.  With parts in hand, a compressor and air wrench, replacing axles just takes a few minutes.  FYI:  The bent axle is a safety issue, so it's important.

Save your breath talking to Bennington about the propeller.  They care how your boat performs, but propping the boat is between the dealer and you.  I'm sure their customer service department would like to know how your treated.  Maybe their dealer sales rep has some influence with your dealer. 

The warranty is between you and Mercury.

Don't give in too easily to paying for anything.  All you ask is that your boat performs up to its potential and that the boat and the trailer are right.
Bamakat........I have 17P Mercury Mirage plus SS Prop. Original equipment. How would my boat benefit if I were to go up or down in pitch?!? Just curious.......

Bamakat........I have 17P Mercury Mirage plus SS Prop. Original equipment. How would my boat benefit if I were to go up or down in pitch?!? Just curious.......
Big Kahuna, not sure if you meant Bamaman or KittyKat but it doesn't really matter as I believe they are one and the same

Big Kahuna, not sure if you meant Bamaman or KittyKat but it doesn't really matter as I believe they are one and the same
Oops! Haha......Meant Bamaman.....

OP: How high is your motor? If your boat is out of the water you can measure from the centerline of your prop shaft to the bottom of your boat and get your X-Dimension. My 300 Verado is only spinning a 16p Inertia at 5750. I am thinking of raising my motor and am wondering where others are running their's at. On one of my performance boats with twin 300's I was able I was able to pick up 13 MPH's by raising the motors and adding a little setback.

OP: How high is your motor? If your boat is out of the water you can measure from the centerline of your prop shaft to the bottom of your boat and get your X-Dimension. My 300 Verado is only spinning a 16p Inertia at 5750. I am thinking of raising my motor and am wondering where others are running their's at. On one of my performance boats with twin 300's I was able I was able to pick up 13 MPH's by raising the motors and adding a little setback.
THIS is a really good post about going faster with a 25' Benny through careful setup by an expert in offshore performance, probably very similar to your prior boats. Unfortunately CCanDo hasn't posted here in a long time :(

THIS is a really good post about going faster with a 25' Benny through careful setup by an expert in offshore performance, probably very similar to your prior boats. Unfortunately CCanDo hasn't posted here in a long time :(
Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

Read through the posts and it brings back memories from my go fast boats. No actual hard info on X-dimension though. I was lucky on my last boat because I was able to actually find hard numbers from other who had set-up their boats with the same power I had.

I have been told to have your anti-ventilation plate just out of the water at cruising speed.  I had them raise my engine one hole, the boat runs great.  They want to tell you about prop blowout and all this other crap that is not true if the plate is just above the water.  As you know, if you know how to operate your trim in turns you won't have any issues.  That anti-ventilation plate acts as a drag on your engine if it is below the water.  I paid a lot of money for my engine so I want the peak performance out of it.

I guess my dealer isn't concerned about my rpms, the CEO/General manager said it was set up per Bennington specs, so I will just drive her like I stole her.  Sounds like they have no clue about the trailer, I am sending them more info/pics.

Thanks for the info. I am on the top hole, but was not sure if all the transoms were drilled the same. I assume the dealers are the ones drilling the holes? I think I need to go up a hole (or get a hydraulic jack plate).

2550RSR - My dealer drilled the transom holes with a template he had. Not sure if that template is standard for all dealers though...

Scott - Curious as to what you've seen with raising it. A few questions if you don't mind.

• How much speed did you gain?
  • How much more sensitive to ventilation is it now in tight turns and is it now less forgiving to non-ideal trim?
  • How about maneuvering in reverse (more or less responsive/capable)?
I've been seriously considering raising my Yamaha SHO 1 hole too (currently in top hole) but since I'm not the only driver on our boat and we plan to do a lot of tubing, I don't want to sacrifice maneuverability for a couple MPH.

Any info from you or any other members who have raised theirs is much appreciated!

I've always wondered if the dealer drilled it there, as my engine is mounted on the 3rd hole which seems really high compared to others. I have no problems with blowout and it runs great.

Back