Dealer trailer or aftermarket?

Dave Hutchins

Reaction score
I purchased a 2018 23SSRXP last week and have not collected it yet since my boathouse lift needs re-configuring. I was not going to buy a trailer but now thinking I might. Dealer wants $5,000 for a galvanized trailer but I can get a magic Tilt from another supplier for $3,500. Any opinions out there about what you would do?

$5k seems high. What brand? I have a genesis which is galvanized and aside from one bearing I haven’t had any issues.

$5k seems high. What brand? I have a genesis which is galvanized and aside from one bearing I haven’t had any issues.
I’m not sure what the brand is, I’ll find out tomorrow but it seemed high to me. I think aluminum trailer was $6,500

I just bought a 2 axle bunk trailer with ladder, third toon and inertia brakes for my new G23srfba for just under $3,800 with tax and it was fully powder coated rather than galvanized. I don’t know where you are in the country but I live not far from Elkhart IN where they make every trailer and camper in the world.

I think brakes on one axle is important but if your going to tow the boat a lot then id get 2 axle brakes.

The ladder on the front is very nice also but you can always get up on the swim ladder

I ordered a 2019 25 QCWA with a trailer a few weeks ago. The trailer is a black powder coated tandem axel with brake, three bunks and load guide. The cost was $3500.

Look around. $3000-$3500 would be a decent price.

I wasn’t going to buy a trailer for my 21’ Bennington either. I had second thoughts and called my dealer. Just so happened they were on sale and being I bought a pontoon they lowered the price. My new trailer is a 2019 Yacht Club bunk style double axle. $2800 plus tax and license. I hooked it up and towed it like I stole it.

I live by the ocean on the Gulf Coast so galvanized or aluminum is a must, would that make a big difference to the cost?

I really like the look of the black ones better but yeah, the coast will rip those up. Yacht Club does powder coating though but longevity wise people still prefer galvanized. Aluminum trailers are great but you don't see many pontoon trailers made out of aluminum and I believe it's because the spans are too great. The I beams would have to be super thick and if you've ever noticed the huge crown in flatbed aluminum trailers, I'm sure that is necessary for the same reasons. They would have to use a lot of aluminum to accomplish the same capacity as steel making them heavier and larger than you would expect and of course it's an expensive metal.

I just bought a brand new galvanized tandem for my 23RCW and it was around $3400. It has all of the bells and whistles.

Thanks all for the comments; I went to two other dealers in the past couple days and it looks like the pricing is pretty consistent.

Where and how do I find out what size trailer I need for my Bennington 20SLMXI tried contacting A store that they weren't helpful at all

I don't have my boat with me and I need to know what the center line distance is on the pontoons so that I know that they rest on the trailer correctly. Somebody let me use their son tracker trailer and I tried to put that on there but it wouldn't lineup it was hanging over the edge so I had to cancel. I need to get the boat out of Big Bear Lake before the Winter otherwise they are going to take it out and store it and charge me for it I appreciate anybody's help

Look here at post #4.

OK thanks for the heads up I probably should have stated that I'm in California so I would be faced with the shipping charges as well. I'm trying to get this to test except and dimensions on the trainer so that I can possibly borrow one but I need to make sure that it matches up because the last time I tried it I brought the trailer 1st and found out later that he didn't match up. That was my mistake because somehow I assumed that a 20' Sun Tracker was the same as is 20' and intan and that the trailers would be interchangeable

5k on a trailer is way high in our market in central Florida. Just bought new galvanized trailer with brakes for our New tri toon and paid our dealer mid 3k.

We purchased a 22ssx w a 150 Yamaha. Our dealer suggested the Majic Tilt galvanized tandum axle trailer with dual surge brakes and 13” tires. We couldn’t be happier with this trailer. We’ve towed 225 miles to Marathon Key without an issue.

I really like the look of the black ones better but yeah, the coast will rip those up. Yacht Club does powder coating though but longevity wise people still prefer galvanized. Aluminum trailers are great but you don't see many pontoon trailers made out of aluminum and I believe it's because the spans are too great. The I beams would have to be super thick and if you've ever noticed the huge crown in flatbed aluminum trailers, I'm sure that is necessary for the same reasons. They would have to use a lot of aluminum to accomplish the same capacity as steel making them heavier and larger than you would expect and of course it's an expensive metal.

I just bought a brand new galvanized tandem for my 23RCW and it was around $3400. It has all of the bells and whistles.
I'm looking into ordering a Bennington (my first pontoon) and I know that I want a tandem galvanized trailer. Are the trailers ordered from Bennington or through the boat dealer? Can you recommend a brand?

You would order your trailer through the dealer or possibly a trailer dealer. Bennibgton does not make or supply trailers. I have a Wesco galvanized tandem trailer for my boat and it seems OK.

IF you are thinking about ordering a trailer, and have NOT yet ordered your boat, then it can be a part of the negotiations. As in....IF I get this boat through you, what kind of deals on trailers do you have. Just a thought as I have heard of others that got nice deals on trailers because they negotiated the trailer price down as part of the boat order.

Back