Dealerships with knowledge of motor height mounting

indystorm1

Reaction score
First post ever! Please be gentle. I placed an order for a 23GSB-ESP to be outfitted with a 300hp Yamaha all digital. I would like to learn how high to mount it the first time. After reading thru many member posts I am trying to gather data on dealers with experience hanging the motor and making changes. I feel that most dealerships just mount it and send us on our way. How can they set it up properly if a 10-hour brake in period is needed? If they hang the motor, put the boat in the water and proceed to hammer down the throttle shouldn't we get upset? Did your service department volunteer to have you come back and make changes?

My dealer has been in business since 1969 . So they have experience .They also have their riggers do a water tests on all boats they sell . At the time of delivery they went along for about a 1 hour test ride to show me the boat and answer questions .
On my second Bennington ,I had prop questions .So the next day we tried some other props . The dealers also have a chart with suggested rigging specs . So yes my dealer does come out to my marina

Last edited:
After rigging my dealer did a sea trial on his own, and then took me and my wife on a sea trial the next day to show us everything. I played with the Garmin and saw the recorded top speed the dealer put on the boat the day prior -- 44.6 mph. So much for a by-the-book break in! I was pretty good keeping to the break in restrictions on my own, but it's hard! ;)

We've had the boat 5 years now and have had no engine issues at all. The guy who does the outboard servicing/winterizing at my marina comments every year on how great my motor looks, so it's hard to know how important it is to obsess about the break in procedures. It would be nice (although impractical) if the manufacturers did it before delivery.

I'm curious did either of you end up changing your motor mounting height? If so did it make a positive change

No changes. I was happy with how the dealer propped and mounted it (top hole) so I've left it alone.

Mine dealer worked with me on dialing my prop in a bit (sales person/manager was happy to have the dealership assist with it, but you could tell the actual tech assigned to me found it to be an unnecessary endeavor for a few more MPH on my Bennington). :D

I probably should tweak my engine mount one hole, but am not interested in the back and forth of having it done, then testing it. My overall performance is probably 90% dialed in, and WOT is close to the max I can expect with my 200 Mercury Verado, so I’ve simply left it as it is currently.

No issues with the dealer at all

2016 2250 with a Honda 250. Engine is mounted 1 hole up with a Enertia prop 14x21. 47/48 mph at 6100

This is a great question and it's one that I've been running through my head. My F150 is currently in hole #2 and has been for the last 4 years. During that time I've gone from an aluminum prop to Yamaha's Reliant series stainless prop. Performance is fine most of the time... So why am I thinking about motor height?

With one or two people on the boat (or even three or four if the others are on the lounges) performance and grip on the water are great. Move a considerable amount of weight forward effectively lightening the stern while on a plane and I notice less grip on the water when accelerating or turning. By less grip I mean ventilation.

With the ellipticals (and strakes) on a plane, by adding weight up forward I appear to essentially be lifting the stern a bit. Using the bow wave as a cantilever if you will and causing less grip on the water.

A huge issue? Well, not really, unless you're a bit of a fussy pants like me. Hence the desire to this spring drop the motor to hole #1 to see how things change.

I tweaked mine myself trying to squeeze every bit of speed I could get. Moved it several times. It was worth it to me.

I told the dealer which prop based on the guys suggestions on here. I ended up lifting my motor up one hole based on my observations of the av plate while underway. I did loose some tight turning ability but my boating style has changed as well so I'm going to leave it one hole from the bottom. I'm running an F200 and sps though.

Back