Deck Cleats and Rub Rails

Bob & Sandi

Reaction score
As our boat is being finalized tomorrow, I am thinking of upgrading to the pop-up deck cleats. I know they have a great look and are a safer as they are not a trip hazard but are they worth the upgrade. Has anyone experienced a trip or a stubbed toe? The stock cleats looks are not that appealing.

Are rub fails necessary? Are the deck rails stiff enough to take an occational light hit from a dock or pier? I am normally able to catch my old pontoon before it rubs, but I can't guarantee anyone else on the boat can do the same. I also look at that is what bumpers are for. Generally any rubbing on the rails is when putting the boat on the lift. The new boat is going to be a little harder as it is going to be 102 wide and the lift is 108. I am pretty good at walking the boats into position, what is even harder than on outboard is a jet.

Thanks,

Bob

Get the rubrail and don't think about it.

I’ve got the standard and haven’t been a problem. I did not get a rub rail. Was my first boat and salesman said it wasn’t necessary. I’ve not banged it much but it’s one of my only regrets.

I had standard and now pop up. Never had an issue, but pop up look cleaner. As for rub rail, you won’t stop all damage, but after a couple light contacts with dock, you’ll wish you did invest in it.

We have both and would keep them.

Pop Up Cleats:

I just like the clean look of the pop up cleats. It is nice not having to worry about stubbing a toe, but then again I have never stubed one on other boats. I do feel confident saying it has saved my wife’s toes though. She is always stubbing them on things, so there is that.

HD Rub Rail:

Absolutely add it since it sounds like you will have the boat on a lift. I have rubbed ours a number of times going into the lift during inclement weather situations with big waves.

As a matter of fact, we got slammed our first season by a big wave and wind when half way in. Pulled 2 feet of the rub rail “out” when the boat got jackknifed by the wave. We were able to get the rub rail put back into place, and saved the deck rails from what otherwise would have likely damaged them pretty solidly. Now we just have scuffs on the rub rails vs. dings and dints on the deck rails.

Looks like both will be part of the package. Think I am going to need to work on the dealer tomorrow. Boy, can this add up fast.

The boat will spend lots of time on the lift. The lake we're on has both a high content of tanic acid and iron, infact my well water has 13 ppm of iron. If I were to keep the boat in the water for the summer, it would have dark orange rings at water level, very hard to get off. Our lake is the only one on the chain that has this issue.

Bob

Last edited:
I called my dealer today and asked them to add a rub rail to my boat prior to taking delivery. They said this can only be done at the factory. I’ve seen plenty of aftermarket rub rails so I’m confused as to why my dealer said it can’t be done.

I called my dealer today and asked them to add a rub rail to my boat prior to taking delivery. They said this can only be done at the factory. I’ve seen plenty of aftermarket rub rails so I’m confused as to why my dealer said it can’t be done.
Michael, from what I've seen the rub rail itself is in the outside frame that is part of the whole deck and that frame looks like it is welded to the structure. You probably need to find some sort of an aftermarket alternative and might need to ask your dealer about installing it or do it yourself.

Good Luck!

Yes, the rubrail is installed at factory. The outer trim piece is actually connected via fasteners. There are many styles available and your dealer should be able to order and install aftermarket if they can’t get factory. If they can’t, and you are handy, you could do it. If not, check a local body shop. I’m sure they could install one. Basic ones would screw on. Nicer models (like Benningtons?) have a base and the rubber portion inserts into that.

Back