Default Alarm on dash 350 Mag I/O = fuel pump problem (Marina said)

lifeisgood

Reaction score
I have 2012 25Q and a 350 Mag with an I/O that keeps generating an alarm on the dash every 2-3 minutes. The boat was running fine for awhile till I could get it in for diagnosis at the Marina. They said the computer was generating a faulty fuel pump. So I left it for the week so they could fix it. I picked up the boat, the alarm and default message was gone so brought it back to my dock. A few hours later we took the boat out and the message and alarm was back. Also, I noticed the boat running sluggish now as well.

I'm about to call the marina again but was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and or found a solution. Thanks Rick

How about fuel filter/water separator and or bad fuel? Were those checked.

Speaking of the fuel filter water separator does anybody know where that is located on a 2008 mercruiser 350 I/O 2575 RCW. Our big boat has been funky since getting gas (non-ethanol) at the marina. I can not find any information on the web.

Speaking of the fuel filter water separator does anybody know where that is located on a 2008 mercruiser 350 I/O 2575 RCW. Our big boat has been funky since getting gas (non-ethanol) at the marina. I can not find any information on the web.

It's in the same location as my 4.3L. In the front bottom left........You'll see it in the first 5 seconds of the video.....

I took the boat to the local boat technician. The filter is under the alternator and several brackets have to come off plus a part on the raw water system had broken and I was filling the bilge up. If the engine had not started running bad, I would have not raised the hatch and seen the water. A $5 drain plug was leaking and when I tightened it with my hand the casting broke. $575 later we can boat this weekend.

Ouch! Glad you're back shipshape and able to use it this weekend.

I took the boat to the local boat technician. The filter is under the alternator and several brackets have to come off plus a part on the raw water system had broken and I was filling the bilge up. If the engine had not started running bad, I would have not raised the hatch and seen the water. A $5 drain plug was leaking and when I tightened it with my hand the casting broke. $575 later we can boat this weekend.
Didn't the bilge pump kick in and start expelling water from the bilge!??

So what was the cause of bad running? Fuel filter?

Didn't the bilge pump kick in and start expelling water from the bilge!??
The pump in the bilge is not on a float. You have to turn the switch.

So what was the cause of bad running? Fuel filter?
Not sure yet. I think the first hiccup was fuel, phase separation. The second problem I hope was water getting sprayed on the engine from the serpentine belt from water in the bilge. I love my I/O but crap happens. I ran build builder today and to replace the boat is 4 times what i paid for it.

They said they checked the fuel filter water separator. Today I got the bad news - the fuel injectors need to be cleaned so they said the top of the motor needs to be taken apart. They are going to order some parts. Was told cost is going to be 1900 or so for total job. Lucky me....

The injectors are inside???? That’s news to me or I’m behind the times. I’ve NEVER seen injectors that had to have the top end of motor torn down to clean/replace them?

Isn't there HD fuel injector cleaning kits that inject cleaner into the fuel rail?

The injectors are inside???? That’s news to me or I’m behind the times. I’ve NEVER seen injectors that had to have the top end of motor torn down to clean/replace them?

I apologize but that is exactly what was said to me, I have never been or claim to be an engine mechanic/wrench spinner so this is why I posted. Perhaps someone here could correct the Service Managers explanation (he obviously will defer to the technician for the specific work to be done) as to what specifically needs to be done to clean injectors? Does 1900 sound fair? Also Boat has roughly 220 hours for reference. Thanks in advance.

I would've put some injector cleaner through it before I spent $1900.00. They might be under the intake manifold.

Yup +1 on some Seafoam or super concentrated fuel injector cleaner.....

Back