Dent insurance question

royal4

Reaction score
I rafted up with 3 large bumpers but it was pretty choppy and after getting out of the water I noticed a large dent right behind the a side port door... pushed in pretty badly and a crease up by the rail... makes me sick but that's life, stuff happens.  I have a 1k deductible so it'll cost me some but to me it looks like the entire panel from stern to the door will need to be replace and maybe the rail. I'm going to try and see if I can make any progress in getting it back in place tomorrow.   My question, will insurance cover this?

Lessons learned:  Don't raft up in choppy water and **ALWAYS** double check bumper placement when you ask someone else to put them in place.

** failed my captain duties  :(

IMG_20160906_145745981.jpg

IMG_20160906_145756510.jpg

IMG_20160906_145814004.jpg

First Off that SUCKS! I'm sorry that happend to you. But I would try a Paintless Dent Guy. Do a search in the Aera where you keep your boat. Or drag your boat to them See if you can have them push that dent out

To my knowledge panel and rail are assembled and crimped as a unit. You have to purchase as a unit. The bottom lip is folded over the panel and almost impossible to repair. You would have to pull the fence at bare minimum to get the panel out of the slot. You would have to fold back the lip, get the panel back in, then fold the lip back over. The panel should also have double sided tape holding it to the rails. Is it feasible, maybe. Is it easy, no. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Paint less dent repair guys won't touch it! The aluminum panels are totally different than working on a car. Plus the panels aren't flat and won't pop out the same. Ask me how I know......

Semp is right. The panels are crimped w/the rail as a unit. I inquired about replacing a panel that wrapped around to the stern and it was about $1500/$1800. Plus the furniture had to be moved to make room for the replacement so it's a PIA!!! 

That sucks about the panel and rail being combined and it being so unfixable. It seems to be very delicate material. I got a nice little mystery dent on my first boat and on my current boat I got a huge one right on the bow starboard panel and I cannot even begin to understand how it happened. It doesn't even look like it got hit with anything, it just kind of rippled. I did hear a weird pop from up there during the crazy iceberg flash flood storm we had though. I noticed it after that trip. 

My question, will insurance cover this?

Yikes!

Yes, it probably will cover the damage less your $1000 deductible. I'd give your agent a call to confirm or just open your policy and read it yourself. Either way, you'll need an estimate from the dealer or boat repair shop.

Good luck...

Back