Dented Toon...Help!

HughesUrDaddy

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster here and was hoping to get some opinions or insight on my problem. This past weekend I had my 2575 RCW i/o brought up from winter storage in Kentucky to where I am in Indiana. Along the way the person towing it got into a fight with a pipe ballard that protects the gas pumps and lost thus leaving me with a nice dent on my toon. The dent does have a crease in it so I am assuming that trying to pull it out would not be an option and if I did it would weaken the aluminum anyway. So I was thinking short of replacing the toon is there any reason why I couldnt swap the left and right toons? In doing that I would be able to at least hide the dent on the inside. I have talked to a fabricator about reparing it and he said that by the time he got done putting a "patch" over the dent it would look worse than the dent itself. Any suggestions on repairing the dent that you can provide would be appreciated!

Not trying to be a wise guy ,but didn't the driver have insurance ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Aren't THEY reonsible for the damage? I would make them put a new tube on it because you aren't gonna fix it. That's just wrong.

Agree, the hauler's insurance should be covering this. Having said that, I think you could switch logs as long as the strakes (if you have any) don't prevent it (for example - if you have inside strakes then a log swap will give you outside strkes).

Jack

Why not get price on log first.

You already will be into your labor cost for removal and use the "labor" for R&R of other side toward new log instead ??

Also, if you have rear ladder, mounts will need added ...... The ladder on mine is a right side ladder the way it's spaced underneath.

Truthfully, I think a "really good shop" could cut that out, weld a patch panel in, grind down, polish it up, and still be cheaper.

It's only aluminum ......... and yes, schooled welder ...... Just don't do it for a living.

I agree I would make the driver claim it but it unfortunately was my father in law doing me a favor

Or car insurance being it was being trailered .......

Where are you in Indiana. Maybe a local Dealer could order a toon from Bennington, they are in Elkhart, and you could possibly pick it up to save some $$$$ ????? Just a thought ......

Just don't send your father in law to go get it :D

Boy, your FIL must feel like crap. No one was hurt and the tube can be replaced. One to add to the experience pile in your life.

If I were you I'd be asking myself how much your father in law really does like you!!! Haha just kidding! It should be covered under your boat insurance though. When mine was backed into I contacted them and they would cover it. As it turned out the car insurance of the driver responsible just paid the bill. Otherwise my boat insurance would have paid it, then went after the car insurance company to recoup the bill in court.

I agree with all the above posts, tow vehicle insurance should cover it first and foremost. I would also check to see if the boat insurance would cover it and pick the one with the least deductable and go that route to lessen the out of pocket expense.

And quite possible one may cover all but deductible, and other may pick that up ?????

A replacement toon with strakes will have to be ordered and installed. You are looking at 3 - 4K for replacement. Check with your boat and auto insurance, and hope for the boat insurance as it likely has a lower deductable.

Any update on your progress with repair / replacement ??

A professional welder can get the job done, but you'll have your work cut out for you getting it to look right and if it doesn't you're not gonna be happy........if appearance is a priority over function. IMO, since it's a std. tube with no strakes, I would replace the tube.........whether it's covered by insurance or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back