Dented Toon

glorey

Reaction score
We went to see our new boat last night and saw a couple of small to medium dents in one of the toons. This boat was on the boat show floor so it must have been damaged in moving it back into storage. My wife and I are skeptical whether these can be fixed to our satisfaction. Anyone had any experience with aluminum repair? The boat is brand new and we don't want to accept a damaged product. We have had two benningtons prior to this one and have not dented anything on them going back 8 years.

Have them replace the log.

Yeah there is no way I'd accept a new boat with dents in the toons.

Replace the log is the best for long term hapiness. My fall back position would be to accept the repair with a considerable amount discounted from the original agreed to price.

Good luck!

Jack

I agree, new log. But think I personally would be open to accepting delivery of the boat with the existing log until such a time as the new log can be installed. This time of year it could be months before a new log is fabricated by Bennington, shipped to the dealer and then installed. One other consideration, did you order the Sharkhide option? If so, you will want to make sure that's done by Bennington on the replacement as well.

Yeah, to get a tube, it has to be attached to another boat being delivered, that matches the size of one needed, so you might have a wait.

How bad is it? Bad enough that a nice discount would be acceptable. If it were me, I'd probably want a new tube too.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Semper both of my outside logs were replaced last year under warranty and they shipped them tucked underneath a boat on the cargo truck.
Were they connected to other toons, or seperate. It was my knowledge (from previous comments from TB), that they connect them ..... but maybe they don't if there's enough space or did they crate them ???

Last edited by a moderator:
PDX Horsedragger: Why did you have to replace your toons under warrantee, what was the problem? I purchased a new SLX (newly delivered to the dealer) and on the port bow toon there is a 6"X8" sanded area, totally visible and annoying, where it looks like the factory used fine steel wool to remove a scratch or blemish of some sort. I wonder what I need to do to protect myself on my end if I accept the boat in this condition and still have this problem fixed at a later time??? They are also working on another toon (tri-toon) problem as well, possibly the wrong keels were installed..... ARRRGG! Thanks in advance.....

Semper: they were strapped upsidedown to the shipping hauler underneath a two-log boat, not attached to a boat itself.

Floater: the toons were damaged by the trailer I was sold. So there was no issue with bennington directly. It was through the dealer.

PDX Horsedragger: Why did you have to replace your toons under warrantee, what was the problem? I purchased a new SLX (newly delivered to the dealer) and on the port bow toon there is a 6"X8" sanded area, totally visible and annoying, where it looks like the factory used fine steel wool to remove a scratch or blemish of some sort. I wonder what I need to do to protect myself on my end if I accept the boat in this condition and still have this problem fixed at a later time??? They are also working on another toon (tri-toon) problem as well, possibly the wrong keels were installed..... ARRRGG! Thanks in advance.....
I would have your paperwork note the slight damage. It sounds as if it could be polished out. Don't worry, if you are like others, you will put your own scuffs and scrapes on them over time anyhow ..... Just don't dent them !!!

Yes, a little polishing compound and elbow grease goes a long way. Too bad it left factory like that, and the shark hide was since applied... more work for later, I guess. oh, and I plan on having fun with this new toy for sure! :D

Back