Depth Finder Stops Working At 20 MPH?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
I have a 2015 2275 GCW with an Echo 101 depth finder that stops working at 20 mph, is this normal, is there a fix for it?

My transducer is located on the port side, I think I recall reading that they should be mounted on the starboard side due to prop wash?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tooncrazy

Not sure it will work at higher speeds. Mine doesn't work while I am underway. Not sure what the echo return rate is for the 101.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had trouble in the past with this, just by adjusting the angle of the transducer up or down you will find the correct angle to have it read at higher speeds

x2 on adjusting the angle. I've had problems here and there with mine not reading underway but it's always fixable by adjusting that and tightening it back down. I can read depth going 35 easy. 

Good to know. I will give adjusting it a try.

Mine is on the port side. Had to adjust the angle and depth of the transducer on the bracket. In fact, I had to replace the bolts holding the transducer on.  They were screws.  Pulled out the first couple times on the boat from the thin metal bracket.  Replaced them with SS bolts and nuts.  Adjusted the transducer lower on the bracket and now it never loses bottom unless I'm in under 1'9" of water.  Then my Garmin flashes....

Todd

The faster you go the more the angle of the transducer changes and the faster water rushes by. Mine Peters out about 13 pH

Garmin recommends (or used to) starboard if your prop rotates clockwise. They want the sensor in down wash not upwash.

Keep playing with the angle of the transducer untill you find a happy medium. They're made for v-hull boats and it's very turbulent at the back of the tubes. Ours will work fine and then it won't. Works more than not though.

The mounting side is for v bottom boats with the transducer in the prop wash.  On the pontoon the transducer never sees prop wash.  Keep playing with the angles and height.

Mine was so finiky. Full tank of gas worked fine, 1/2 tank would freak out when going above 30. No matter what angle of the dangle it was at.

Mine was so finiky. Full tank of gas worked fine, 1/2 tank would freak out when going above 30. No matter what angle of the dangle it was at.
In addition to the angle of the transducer the other factor is the height/depth at where the transducer is installed.  I was frustrated by the transducer on my first boat until finally a good mechanic moved it down just an inch or two and after that it ran perfect no matter what the speed

Only problem I ever had with my transducer is when that $&!?$@/$ muskrat chewed through the wire leading to it. After I had it replaced I had to play around with the angle to get it to work properly. Once you get it you'll have no problem.....

Both my toons did / do the same only good to about 20 ish mph depending on water depth have tried every adjustment in the book and nothing gets it any better.

Baffling that so many people have issues at higher speeds despite adjustments. That is not normal. If you can't adjust it into working, then I'd raise some hell with dealer/garmin/bennington. When I got stuck in debris back in June (iceberg flash flood), it knocked mine out of alignment. I was dragging trees by it through the water. Afterwards it only worked at slow speeds. Back to the shore with a screwdriver and boom, works great at 35 again. These things are designed to work while moving fast. 

I got so frustrated I just sold the boat. ;)

Mine works up to full speed around 29mph. I do have to keep it cleaned. It will go out at higher speeds when it gets a film on it. Once I clean it off it is good to go.

I never have any issues with mine, regardless of speed. We run in the river every week so I watch it a lot. 

Back