depth finder, transducer

jmddkd

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Bennington 23 SX Tritoon with a 5" Simrad depth finder. At speeds above 20 mph the depth finder stops sending info. Simrad tech assistance believes it's the transducer is too high. I have it set as low as to can be on the mounting bracket. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Common issue. They all tend to do it. Turbulent water off toons.
You can try adjusting the angle a little more, or create a bracket to get it a little lower.

Search some posts on here as this is a common topic and problem. The generic transducer brackets are too high, and the transducer is stuck in water turbulence. Usually means you lose depth after 15mph, sometimes 20mph. Need to lower it. Those on here that lowered theirs have seen good results. I still need to do mine, so I have the same problem as you still.

Search some posts on here as this is a common topic and problem. The generic transducer brackets are too high, and the transducer is stuck in water turbulence. Usually means you lose depth after 15mph, sometimes 20mph. Need to lower it. Those on here that lowered theirs have seen good results. I still need to do mine, so I have the same problem as you still.
Is there an adjustment to lower the bracket? Or do new holes need to be drilled?

I could only adjust the angle with my bracket so I had to back out the sheet metal screws and lower the bracket. Took all of two minutes.

After lowering my transducer I got steady readings up to 36mph. I tried to go faster but I couldn’t push the throttle any further...dang!

Mine drops off, but not until about 33-34mph.

Spent all last summer playing with the angle of my Simrad's transducer and no matter what I did I lost the signal about 19-20 mph. Frustrating.

Playing around with the angle of the transducer.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-225642.png
    Screenshot_20210217-225642.png
    778.6 KB · Views: 31
I wonder if the people that have raised their motors have noticed an improvement in this. I've ordered a SImrad on our new boat and this is kind of disappointing to read.

I wonder if the people that have raised their motors have noticed an improvement in this. I've ordered a SImrad on our new boat and this is kind of disappointing to read.
I agree but have to assume there's a way to make it work. Maybe a different bracket or something custom. I need to see where the transducer sits in relation to the water when underway at higher speeds. Maybe tape a phone / camera to something to watch it? I haven't found anyone brave / dumb enough to lay on the aft deck and look while going 40 across the lake ;)

Back