Design Issue w/ OEM Hydraulic Steering?

jasonkahn

Reaction score
Has anyone else had or known of issues with the way Bennington installed their Baystar Hydraulic Steering System (type w/ tilt wheel & separate remote fill plug)? On mine, the remote fill port (small ~3/4" black cap that says "baystar oil only") is mounted on the flat area of the far outboard, forward, starboard side of the operator's console; because of this it actually sits LOWER than the fill port on the top of the helm pump that the fluid is supposed to go into.... If you try to add oil to the remote fill plug it appears full, but if you look under the console where the hose connecting the remote fill port to the actual fill port on the top of the helm pump is; the hose is only full of fluid right below the remote fill port and as the hose turns UP to go UP to the top of the helm it is only filled with air ?!!? I spent way too long today under the console trying to get fluid into the helm by disconnecting the remote fill and lifting the hose higher than the helm for it to flow down into and release the air bubbles - then repeated it about a dozen times till it was full - ALMOST 1/3 QUART LOW - even though it looked "full" at the remote fill? !?!? Am I nuts or does it seem like the remote fill should have been installed in a different (higher) location?

For reference; a figure from the Baystar manual is attached. #'s 4,5,6,7 & 8 all comprise what I am calling the 'remote fill port', #3 is the hose, and #1 is the fill port on the top of the helm itself.

Baystar Helm.JPG

FOR THE RECORD - THIS IS THE FIRST THING I HAVE EVERY FOUND W/ MY BENNI THAT SEEMS WRONG OR THAT I DON'T LIKE - SO I HOPE I AM WRONG - LOL !!!

I have the same thing on my GCW. I guess I should ask the dealer, because I know one time I did unscrew the cap and fluid started to come out quickly.

I have the same thing on my GCW. I guess I should ask the dealer, because I know one time I did unscrew the cap and fluid started to come out quickly.
I would be interested in this also, having just ordered a Bennington with the same set-up.

I'm not sure how you get around this situation though, just have to be carful when filling from the high side that the cap is off the low side and oil flows out. Could be messy and maybe a two person job to holler "stop".

I would be interested in this also, having just ordered a Bennington with the same set-up.

I'm not sure how you get around this situation though, just have to be carful when filling from the high side that the cap is off the low side and oil flows out. Could be messy and maybe a two person job to holler "stop".
Hi guys, TB pitched this one to our engineers and here's the scoop:

1. You should not have to "fill" your hydraulic fluid line or cylinder. The fluid (oil) does not evaporate and does not need to be topped off. Dealer rigging includes filling the line during prep.

2. Riggers are required to purge the line of any air bubbles before filling the line.

3. Low fluid is probably an indication of a leak somewhere. Have a mechanic check the system.

4. If there is way too much play in the wheel (let's say 7 to 11 on a clock face) please have it purged and refilled professionally!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! Glad to know I won't need to fill it up ever!!

Thanks for the response TB. Not sure why mine ended up being so low - no visible leaks. But since filling and getting the trapped air out of the fill tube, the steering is WAY smoother.

Back