Dexter Surge Brakes

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
B2A26372-0CF4-44C8-BE8A-332160E4F324.jpeg

What does the black knob/control/cap (?) on top, do? How is it supposed to be set? This is an image of an image.

Last edited:
Just a resovoir cap you turn to remove. Should be a rubber cap below to fill/refill brake fluid. The tongue should the type of brake fluid required for your system.

Thank you, ADK. I wasn’t about to assume, and start messing with it.

I thought it was for turn signal fluid?

No, that's a backup brake lockout. You turn it, and your surge brakes no longer work. Only use it when backing up, and even then only if you need to, such as when backing up going up hill. Mine doesn't work that great, hard to turn, doesn't always stay... I have to use pliers to turn mine. Easier to just use a lockout pin/key. I have the same actuator, and have had to replace it, so I've dug into it more than I wanted. If you take that off, there is a black rubber reservoir cap under it for brake fluid.

Last edited:
Thanks Kaydano. I'm going to experiment with it on a hill to see if it doesn't anything.

Hmm strange. Mine has a rubber fill cap under it to add fluid. The lockout is a magnetic key that slides into the mechanism on the side of the hitch. Here is what the key looks like.

71-769__81674.1487103416.1200.1200.JPG

All three of mine were the same as yours H2GO. I must say that the lockouts that have an actual "pin" that inserts to lock I think are much better! My relay wasn't working on my trailer (I think it was my second one) so the reverse signal didn't unlock the brakes. I tried using the little key, like shown above, and it kept falling out. I was trying to cut into my driveway and whenever I pulled forward to reposition it would release the pressure on the key and it would fall out. Luckily I was at home so I grabbed some painters tape and taped it in to get it in the driveway. Unloaded everything, then towed it down to my GM dealership since I knew the mechanics there. They came and tested and that's how I found out the relay was bad. They threw a new one in and didn't charge me a cent! Never had any issues after. I did however leave a velcro strap in the glove box that would be able to go around and hold the key in!

It's an upgrade. I think it was $15. Use the key and Velcro mentioned above.

20180314_203529.jpg

20180314_203523.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/UFP-Brake-Lo...pID=5156ID58N5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This would have been easier. The actuator normally comes with just the black rubber cap over the brake reservoir and a key like the picture H2GO posted above. If you want the lockout cap, you have to buy that separately. If you look closely at Spoiledrotten's picture, you can see that he has the locking cap. Not everyone does.

See the Amazon link above for a picture. Not cheap for how crappy it works.

Last edited:
Well there ya go! Pretty neat though

Plus, my cap blew off on the interstate. Now I'm back to just the key and tape. Velcro from now on. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

I watched a YouTube video about that magnetic key. He put a zip tie around the tongue, and when he used the key, he just slid the zip tie over the blade of the key.

I’ll stick with the reverse solenoid! So far so good!!

3CCD0D3B-73F8-4697-990E-3E3E017517D8.jpeg 40CA23B0-3C07-4D30-A62F-0562A3BB7D5B.jpeg
https://www.amazon.com/UFP-Brake-Lo...pID=5156ID58N5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This would have been easier. The actuator normally comes with just the black rubber cap over the brake reservoir and a key like the picture H2GO posted above. If you want the lockout cap, you have to buy that separately. If you look closely at Spoiledrotten's picture, you can see that he has the locking cap. Not everyone does.

See the Amazon link above for a picture. Not cheap for how crappy it works.

That was a lazy attempt to ask about the knob. Mine is just a cap. The dealer did give me a lockout key that sits over the top.

BTW, don’t laugh at my socks and flip flops. I just ran out after an all day rain to get a pic.

I've never seen a lockout key like that. Cool.

But every trailer has a pin for the hitch ball that you use while on the highway. Too bad that can't do double duty to pin the brakes when backing up. You don't really need the safety pin in place on the hitch when you're backing up at 0.01 mph. My tongue weighs 700 lbs. It's not going to hop off. Even if the trailer somehow came off the ball, you have the safety chains. That would be sooo much simpler than zip ties or Velcro. And mine is not magnetic. Which is another good idea. Mine falls right out. This is one of those very few things left this day and age that's just begging for someone to invent something and get rich....

Back