Didn’t order Elevated Helm....but

dannyleininger

Reaction score
When we ordered our 22ssx I opted against the Elevated Helm as I feared it might be a trip hazard. However, I quickly learned that having a boat full of guests seriously reduced my forward visibility...too many heads in the way.

So I asked my Dealer, Gary’s Boating Center in Lake Wales, if he had any ideas. He did! He contacted a local fabricator and built a 5“ seat pedestal extension that was perfect. It is very solid. Here’s two pictures.

BFF9558B-574A-4FA5-80C2-796F29C8238F.jpeg

CE75A0B2-25F3-4157-88AF-A33C195AD11A.jpeg

We have been discussing how to paint or cover this extension, As I look at it now I may simply spray it with an aluminum paint. Total project cost was about $400.

When we ordered our 22ssx I opted against the Elevated Helm as I feared it might be a trip hazard. However, I quickly learned that having a boat full of guests seriously reduced my forward visibility...too many heads in the way.

So I asked my Dealer, Gary’s Boating Center in Lake Wales, if he had any ideas. He did! He contacted a local fabricator and built a 5“ seat pedestal extension that was perfect. It is very solid. Here’s two pictures.

View attachment 26092

View attachment 26093

We have been discussing how to paint or cover this extension, As I look at it now I may simply spray it with an aluminum paint. Total project cost was about $400.

I wonder if you put a 1/2“ thick by 5” wide strip of foam around it in the gap, and then bought a small strip of matching flooring, or similar colored fabric type material to go over the foam. Might give it a premium look covering the pedestal extension.

We have considered exactly what you recommended. My only thought against this is the foam holding water and possibly causing corrosion down the road???

Or just paint it an alunium color to match the original base.

polish it! :p

Just tell people it's a beer keg, maybe put a Budweiser decal on it. Actually I don't think it looks bad as it is

Whatever I do has to be done in place due to the Waveshield which would have to be removed...again! I may try the aluminum spray paint first. If it doesn’t work out then I will add the Bud decal :p

I really like the way that it looks as is. It's an elegant solution that I will look into. I've posted before that I don't "need" an elevated helm as I like to stand, but when I want to sit or someone smaller is at the helm, it would be a good thing to have.

If it's stainless steel, you shouldn't have to do anything to it. Polishing it, as S,per suggested is a good idea.

View attachment 26092

View attachment 26093

Hey Danny. What did you end up doing??? Pics?

Hey Danny. What did you end up doing??? Pics?

Honestly, this project has fallen off the radar screen. However, we came off the last Royal Caribbean cruise ship returning to Port Canaveral (Orlando) prior to the industry shutting down, so we have been self quarantining for 14 days...ends Sunday! This may be a great project.
Trust me, I need something to do!!!!

I will say that elevating the seat 5“ has worked very well. I also have another 2-1/2 inches of elevation from the base.

Honestly, this project has fallen off the radar screen. However, we came off the last Royal Caribbean cruise ship returning to Port Canaveral (Orlando) prior to the industry shutting down, so we have been self quarantining for 14 days...ends Sunday! This may be a great project.
Trust me, I need something to do!!!!

I will say that elevating the seat 5“ has worked very well. I also have another 2-1/2 inches of elevation from the base.
Even if you don't get to it......it looks fine the way it is. Happy Quarantining!

Wondering if you could polish it up really nice, then get a negative decal made of the Bennington logo and etch it into it?

Back