Diesel soot on vinyl furniture.

Wild and Free

Reaction score
Boat was parked next to a truck a week ago and I took the cover was off earlier that morning and it rained the night before , well short story is when the truck started and left it blew soot all over my boat from its stacks while I was back at the camper getting stuff for the boat for the day and didn't see the truck again. :angry:

I have had a horrible time trying to get the spots off the vinyl furniture. Dealer sold me some 3m bleach based cleaner they use to clean all surfaces on boats which works to a certain extent but it takes a heck of a lot of elbow grease to get each and every spot off which there are thousands of them.

I use meguires vinyl protectant but it won't touch this stuff. have tried different wipes but it comes down to nearly wearing holes in the vinyl while scrubbing out the spots.

Is there any other product like 303 which not one single boat dealer or marina carries in my area. where is a good online place to get it? Any other ideas to get the soot out? :unsure:

Wild and Free, that terrible, diesel soot is very hard to remove. I think it's going to take a pretty harsh cleaner to get it off, a few things that come to mind would be a hand cleaner like gojo, but use the one without pumice, maybe one of the citris based cleaners or totally awesome cleaner. As a last resort, a rag dipped in diesel fuel, followed by a good degreaser and vinyl protectant. I've got a purple stain from bird poo and tried about everything with no luck. I hope you find something that will work, let us know how it turns out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some Vinyl Siding cleaner from a hardware store.

Ive had good luck with that "Totally Awesome" you know the ad seen on TV stuff and Mr Clean magic erasers used together. Ive never tried it on diesel soot though.

I've been using the 303 fabric cleaner. So far it's worked on everything ( bird poop etc). I haven't tried it on diesel soot.

You might try some bug and tar remover. I would try it on a spot where it can't be seen to make sure it will not damage the vinyl.

Good Luck

I've been using the 303 fabric cleaner. So far it's worked on everything ( bird poop etc). I haven't tried it on diesel soot.
Is there a good online place to get it at a great price? I want to get the 303 fabric protector for my playpen and bimini covers anyhow.

Go to 303products.com and you can find retailers in your area. I bought the protectant at Chucks Trux. However,they do not carry the cleaner so I ordered that on line. Not all the retailers sell all of there products.

Thanks for the responses guys I found a local auto parts store that carries 303 products using the dealer locator plus on their site they say a lot of NAPA stores now carry it. So my next trip to town I will stop in and check them out as both stores are only a block away from each other.

Back