Digital vs Cable Controls

JPeraino

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a new sxp with a Yamaha 150. Is the digital control option worth $2800 over the standard controls?

+1 on the power steering. :rolleyes:

If it's just throttle and shift by wire I would say no. If it is that plus a full dash display than yes.

Thanks guys...I think I will put the extra money on the power steering rather than the digital controls.

Because it was cost prohibitive ,( after the factory ) I was not able to upgrade from a 150 to a 200 because I dont have digital controls . Keep that in mind .

Last edited:
Not to sure what is included with the Yamaha package,but my evinrude I command is a very nice system. You have a lot of sensors that can be added to the system. Not to mention, the gauges are so easy to see at all times. But I also would not be without the power steering. Remember,build your 1st boat last!

Because it was cost prohibitive ,( after the factory ) I was not able to upgrade from a 150 to a 200 because I dont have digital controls . Keep that in mind .

When it was all said and done you would probably not have been happy with that upgrade anyway (assuming we're talking Yamaha). It's one of the smallest actual increases in power to the prop for a ridiculous premium difference in price. The reason is because of how good the 150 is (not the VMax version, I'm talking the regular grey version). The Yamaha 150 is well known to really be roughly a 163 where the 200 is 200 or possibly a smidgeon less.

Dealer was going to charge 3k for the upgrade while in storage the 1st season ( including trade of 150 ) .Price got out of control when we were told the controls need to be changed also.

We couldn’t be without our power steering. Big, big plus for water sports.

Power steering is a must in my book if you will do any water sports with the boat.

Power steering is a must in my book if you will do any water sports with the boat.
We don't do water sports but I still love my power steering.

Point taken. Let me amend my statement: Power steering is a must have if you want it easy-peesy! Not gonna lie...I like things easy. ;)

Power steering is a must if you want to get the full performance benefit of an SPS or ESP Tritoon package. With out it you leave significant performance potential on the table.

Last edited:
Back