Do any of you protect the lower unit/skeg with aftermarket parts?

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I tried a search for this, and may not have worded the search correctly, but do any of you have any protection on the front of your lower unit to guard against rocks, logs, etc.?

Most of the ones I've seen only protect from the driveshaft (vertically) back to the prop shaft, wrapping around the propeller itself.

HERE is one example.

Looks like something from an old submarine Tom!!!

Our lake is a mix of sand, muck and stumps. I avoid the stump areas unless I trim way way up.

There are several options out there from skeg protectors to skeg repair covers. Bass pro, overtons, amizon etc. Google outboard skeg protector, i found a bunch of 'em.

My skeg was damaged and I got a stainless unit that slid over the damaged area and added the missing section.  I don't think I would put it on an undamaged skeg.

On our 1st boat (we were rookies) we left the drive down and we put the boat back on the trailer and I went up the ramp and dragged it half way across the parking lot. I was wondering why all those people were yelling at me! .......Well the skeg did its job and protected the prop but it was messed up and crooked. I don't know how but the marina fixed it. So I didn't have to put on one of those aftermarket products......

Remediation - What is this stainless thing you put on? I have a bit of damage to the back of my skeg. Just a small chunk missing right at the back tip. I haven't noticed any problems from it, but if there's an easy fix, I'd be all about it. 

On our 1st boat (we were rookies) we left the drive down and we put the boat back on the trailer and I went up the ramp and dragged it half way across the parking lot. I was wondering why all those people were yelling at me! .......Well the skeg did its job and protected the prop but it was messed up and crooked. I don't know how but the marina fixed it. So I didn't have to put on one of those aftermarket products......
I saw a couple of guys do this same thing while I was launching my boat. They loaded the boat on the trailer, then pulled the boat out of the water without tilting the motor up. The driver drug it about 30 yards while I was yelling at him. His partner just stood there and shrugged his shoulders. Oh well! I would cry if I looked back there and noticed that I had drug mine across the rough crushed rock and asphalt pavement.

I think this is one I would go for. I'm thinking JB Water Weld to hold it on rather than drilling through a perfectly good skeg.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Megaware-Skeg-Pro-Evinrude-Yamaha-VMAX-HPDI&i=778696

Last edited by a moderator:
Remediation - What is this stainless thing you put on?

It has been 4 years ago.  I will see if I can find the brand.  I had to grind/smooth the damaged area. It slides over and you drill 2 holes and attach it. 

I have been very happy with it. 

Update - I looked at Link Overton link and the  

Megaware SkegGuard looks like what I have on the big boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
My skeg was damaged and I got a stainless unit that slid over the damaged area and added the missing section.  I don't think I would put it on an undamaged skeg.
Why do you say that, Remediation? "An ounce of prevention....."  Do you feel it would add unnecessary drag, or what? Curious minds want to know.

Thanks for all of the input. I've shopped around, and due to them being fairly expensive, I wanted some advise/ideas from your long time boaters.

There is probably some drag.  The biggest reason is the skeg is "soft" and will grind away or give/bend when hitting something.  I not an engineer but I fell that the stainless could transmit the impact to the mounting screws area higher up on the skeg and possibly destroy the lower unit before the stainless would fail.  Just an opinion.   

Kind of the aluminum/stainless propeller debate. 

If you are that worried about hitting your lower unit, stay further from shore in unknown waters or prep by looking at lake maps. I always trim way up when in shallow, unknown waters and drive very slow.

Our problem on Cumberland, is the waterlogged wood that is suspended under the surface.  You would have to work really hard to get shallow water. 

Our problem on Cumberland, is the waterlogged wood that is suspended under the surface.  You would have to work really hard to get shallow water. 
Something like that is what I hit a few weeks ago, when I bent my prop shaft and tore up the alum prop. It's those things you can't see!

Back