Do bimini tops "quickly" shrink?

John Shadow

Reaction score
So for two years I have been using my bimini with no issues. Take off the cover, unfold it forward, snap the front legs of the frame in place, good to go. Last time I used it was a month ago and all was normal. Today I did the same as always but when I folded it forward to snap the front legs in place neither one would reach its mount on the rail. For the life of me I cannot figure out what is wrong. Nothing has been adjusted, nothing is bent. it looks like the bimini shrunk and is shorter than it was. What I can't understand is why after two and a half years of functioning perfectly all of a sudden it shrunk. It was just a month ago I used it last. I did not put it up wet and I put it back inside its cover. I know this must sound crazy but my buddy and I messed with it for almost an hour and the only logical (or illogical) explanation is shrinkage but why now? Any thought? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks I am baffled...….

Did someone mess with the forward arm positions?

Good canvas shouldn't "shrink" any more than it will "stretch" typically. Makes me wonder if there is some adjustment that changed, perhaps accidental....

Did someone mess with the forward arm positions?
No because when it would not fold forward completely I loosened them and there is no position in which they will reach their mounts. Also, the top of the bimini is much higher in the front then in the back because the forward bow won't come completely down.

Pictures to illustrate what you are talking about?

I'm with Semp.....the forward arms position had to be changed. The top isn't going to shrink that much if at all....

The only other thing I’ve seen is when the upper hoops are somehow positioned wrong. They are not folding out into their correct forward position. I think one of your hoops, probably middle forward ones not positioned properly.

Last edited:
Look at this photo and make sure your hoops are in these positions.
Grabbed photo from site, not my boat.

5F9AE986-C05D-4280-A3B0-8F08565BEB42.jpeg

Look at this photo and make sure your hoops are in these positions.
Grabbed photo from site, not my boat.

View attachment 25678
IMG_6284.JPG IMG_6288.JPG So here it is, one picture shows front support not reaching with back support secured and the other is with front secured and back won't reach. Supports not adjusted since last time I used it about a month ago. The top looks funny to me. I know this sounds crazy. When I noticed it I had a few friends in the boat and everyone came to the conclusion the top had shrunk. But my question for them was why now? Why was it fine for a couple years and a month ago too and then all of a sudden it is different? I have loosened the front support trying to make it reach and it won't no matter where I put it.

It looks to me that the back pivoting arm is not in the correct position. Compare the angle of that arm with the front and in the pics SemperFi posted and it looks like that arm is at too high an angle. This would push the canvas up and “make it shorter” so to speak.

Wouldn't the canvas shrink in both directions, if it shrunk? I've been on this forum since 2011 and I've never seen a post about any shrinking fabric.

My guess is one of the struts moved. That happened to me.

I agree with JohnL. Looks like the rear middle support is not angled forward enough.

The top didn't shrink. Just adjust the supports and you'll get it right.

Yup, rear support is not in its most forward position. Seen it b4.

Make sure when opening, back middle hoop drops forward to a 90 degree or so angle to main hoop, same with front middle hoop and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
I'd also check to see if the fabric has shifted to one side or the other on the hoops. Sometimes if it moves it will not sit right on the hoops and not let it extend all the way.

Back