Do I need a special trailer?

hapehour

Reaction score
Hi guys, me and the wife picked up a 22ssl at the boat show in feb. The dealer said he would get us a trailer at cost if we decided we wanted one. We have decided to get one but have no idea how to compare prices to figure out if it is at cost. We have the 32'' elliptical toons and I believe he said that trailer is more expensive? I dont know how true that is. He did say it`s going to be a yacht club trailer and it was around 2500$ dual axel and brakes. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Go bennie.

I can't confirm the need to change the bunks to accommodate the elliptical toons but my Hustler standard toon trailer, TA, with surge brakes on one of the axels was $2,000.

I would say with shipping costs, and minimal markup to play with on the trailer, you are more than likely close to cost.

Hi - I have the 32 inch elliptical pontoons (2 without strakes) on my boat and I trailer it. I can not imagine why the trailer would be more expensive than a trailer for regular round pontoons. There is no real difference in the layout of the bunks and the bunks are the same, specifically long 2x4 pieces of wood covered in marine carpet. My whole setup (boat, motor, trailer) was one package price so I can't specifically say what the trailer cost, it seems to me it was around $1900-2000 for dual axle, no brakes, and two years ago.

(Also it is actually a tritoon trailer so I consider the two bunk boards in the middle spares which I have actually used, but that is a different story!)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I don't know if it makes a difference but the 32'' toons im getting will have lifting strakes on both side of each toon, just thought I would add that. Thanks again.

I have twin elips with strakes. Standard trailer. Bunks are adjustable and they set a little more apart then round toons do. I paid 3k for mine.

Todd

Hi guys, me and the wife picked up a 22ssl at the boat show in feb. The dealer said he would get us a trailer at cost if we decided we wanted one. We have decided to get one but have no idea how to compare prices to figure out if it is at cost. We have the 32'' elliptical toons and I believe he said that trailer is more expensive? I dont know how true that is. He did say it`s going to be a yacht club trailer and it was around 2500$ dual axel and brakes. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Go bennie.
$2,500.00 sounds feasible. However, the trailer specs. will dictate if that is a good price or not. (I am famous for over-engineering projects). Subject to your application, salt water or fresh water, variables include steel, galvanized or aluminum frames. Painted steel will rust sooner or later, sooner without care and sooner yet in brackish water. Doughnut tires and wheels spin at a high RPM, when going down the road.... 14" T&W may be safer. Frames can be built with 2" channel, I like 5", w/an extra crossmember and etc.

Haven't even gotten my boat or trailer but just curious, is there much of a market to buty used trailers and is it difficult to sell the one you have?

Now that's funny! I just made my 100th post and noticed that my title changed to Commodore. I belive that in my case it has been mispelled; I belive it should be prefaced by the German title Herr. So that it reads "Herr-come-a-dope" because 99% of my posts here have been asking questions asking for help and getting answers from the guys that have a great wealth of knowledge. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep asking questions, Link. The answers you stir up benefit me as well!

And based on the count of views many of these threads get, I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers that benefit from the answers as well (or they wouldn't be lurking and running up the view count).

This site is the very definition of the Internet in its early days - The free sharing of info to the benefit of all.

What's that old 80s song that goes "herr come-a-dope's in town, uh oh..." Next time you hear that song, you will think of that now. I can't think of the band name... Someone will remember it.

Now that's funny! I just made my 100th post and noticed that my title changed to Commodore. I belive that in my case it has been mispelled; I belive it should be prefaced by the German title Herr. So that it reads "Herr-come-a-dope" because 99% of my posts here have been asking questions asking for help and getting answers from the guys that have a great wealth of knowledge. :rolleyes:
Link, you are pretty "Humble". As we all know, the adage of "There is only one dumb question, the one that was never asked", an applicable response to your above post. I've read enough of your posts to believe you are no "Dumby".

Unfortuneatly, the boating industry is similar to where the premadona automobile industry was when the offshore manufacture's came. The service and lack of provided information left the door open. The off-shore guy studied the market, designed the product and created a very competitive sales and marketing program. Then, the after sale service supported the scheme....Pretty simple, but not so simple the domestic auto industry got it, without a rude awakening.

In summary, the consumer, can still have fun with due-diligence, for any decision. However, in this information age, it may be prudent for any industry to gain insight from the auto industry and articulate support for present and future customers.

Welcome Jack P! Don't hold you breath on a reply as that post was from 2012.

Back