Do I order the Double Bimini or Not

Big D

Reaction score
I just ordered my 1st pontoon, a 23' SSRCXP Bennington and a boat lift, at the Chicago Boat show and I have a couple of days to update my order. So far the order is in with a standard bimini top with blue LED Lights. I am debating if I will miss the extra shade of a double bimini.

One on my main reservations for not wanting the double bimini is I think they look stupid in the down position. They look ok when they are up and shading. Also, I am wondering just how much I will use it.

Do they handle SPEED well in the down and up position? Would I lay them all the way down when entering my lift? When they are all the way down on a 23' do they go past or cut into the seating area of the playpen in the front of the boat? Can I remove the front one if I find I am not using it? If I remove it does it detract from the look?

Looking for comments from people who have Doulble Bimini's OR have had them. I don't have long to make a final decision. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new boat. The only thing I can answer is that yes you can remove it. For that matter you can remove both.

I would definitely recommend it. It was almost double to add it later for a friend of mine as he needed to add the zipper to his single and the cost for the 2nd bimini and labor. The dealer installs the biminis so you could ask them to not mount it. I agree it looks a bit odd when not in use but for my family, we cant go without it. When looking at new in stock and used boats, we couldn’t even consider a boat without the double. Resale may be better?!
My 2 cents! Enjoy

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
My sales rep said they only put it on 2 boats last year out of 128 boats sold and he wouldn't get it.

Last edited:
I've got the double bimini and love it. Out here, temps in the summer sometimes exceed 120. The bimini set-up works very well in keeping the seating area cooler and most importantly getting out of the beating sun. I keep mine up all the time but I only tow 2 miles from the house to the lake. I'm not sure where you're located but if you boat in an area similar to mine you'll regret not getting it. My. 02.

I thought the second bimini looked goofy as well. I struggled with the same dilemma, "To go with a Single or Double Bimini." Although I was paying an extra thousand, my family (immediate and extended) voted for the double bimini - LOL. We have a large, fair skinned Irish American family. We need the shade on those bright sunny days. We do a lot of cruising in the afternoon hours with twelve or so on the boat, couldn't do that without the second bimini. So, in the long run, it has been worth every penny. As time has passed, it doesn't look as goofy.

In the down position, it'll handle all the speed you can give it on the water.
I don't have it up when we are waterskiing in the earlier hours. I don't think it could handle that.
I only have it the trailering position when it's shrink wrap for winter.
You can remove it, but I would caution you on doing that. Where are you going to safely store it so that it doesn't accidentally get damaged?
Doesn't detract from the look if you remove it. It'll just look like a boat with a single bimini.

Thank you for your insight. I believe i'm going to go for it.

My sales rep said they only put it on 2 boats last year out of 128 boats sold and he wouldn't get it.

Yeah, and a lot of dealers say the same thing about Sharkhide. I bought used and didn't have the option but on many days I wish I had a double bimini.

I can believe your dealer. I am on a large lake chain in WI and have never seen a pontoon with a double Bimini.

I've seen guys on here from northern states say they want to get all the sun they can. Here in Virginia we're almost always using our double bimini, and it was one on my wife's "must haves."

I just told her I was typing this and she said "The front bimini doesn't look dumb. I'll tell you what looks dumb -- sunburn. Sunburn looks dumb. And skin cancer. And wrinkles. They look dumb" The woman knows what she likes. :)

What dealer did you buy from? Do you know what discount percentage you got? I’m going tomorrow.

I just ordered my 1st pontoon, a 23' SSRCXP Bennington and a boat lift, at the Chicago Boat show and I have a couple of days to update my order. So far the order is in with a standard bimini top with blue LED Lights. I am debating if I will miss the extra shade of a double bimini.

One on my main reservations for not wanting the double bimini is I think they look stupid in the down position. They look ok when they are up and shading. Also, I am wondering just how much I will use it.

Do they handle SPEED well in the down and up position? Would I lay them all the way down when entering my lift? When they are all the way down on a 23' do they go past or cut into the seating area of the playpen in the front of the boat? Can I remove the front one if I find I am not using it? If I remove it does it detract from the look?

Looking for comments from people who have Doulble Bimini's OR have had them. I don't have long to make a final decision. Thanks!

Personally, due to the cost, warranty, and feedback, I’d add it now. It going to be much cheaper now. It’s better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. We have a few on our docks with doubles and they don’t look odd. If you plan on taking family and friends out I’d highly recommend it.

Boating in the lower Colorado where the temp exceeds 110 every day during the summer, I wouldn't boat without it

I have to agree the double Bimini is great if you desire shade while boating. As a skin cancer survivors, wife and I, it is a must along with sunscreen!!!

I know I’m a northerner but our next boat will have it for sure! I hate not being able to get out of the sun.

Back