Do you boat at night?

We do go out at sunset a bunch but we never stray far from our inlet. The river has to many logs floating and some that are 30 ft from shore that stick out of the water about a 6 inches and are hard to see during the day much less at night. Plus the barges at night are hard to see and can really creep up on you before you know it. We were out on the fourth of july and sitting on the river watching fireworks. I kept telling my wife something is off and I swear there is something coming at us. She would look and say I was crazy. I never took my eyes off it and all the sudden I hear a horn. It was a barge about 6-700 feet from us. We were not in direct line with it or anything and i started up the boat and moved further over but that scared the heck out of my wife. The whole thing came down to it being dark and your depth perception is way off. Once they blew the horn the whole barge came into view. At night everything changes so we do get out every once in a while but not to often.

Do barges not have lights at all?

Yes they do but on the river at night things just get blended in with the back ground. They have the typical running lights but that is it besides the lights on the tug. I knew something was heading our way though but since the barges that carry the coal or whatever they are hauling is really a dark color it just blends right in with the shore line and really there is no contrast to tell the difference. Depth perception is probably the biggest issue because it is hard to tell how far away they are at night because you really just can see them except for the lights.

We're very fortunate to have our boat slung out of the water in a boathouse 27 steps from our front door.

We very often go out at night, especially when the temperatures during the day are over 90 degrees.  Nighttime temperatures are more comfortable when the days are really hot in the South.

Our house faces the west with 6 mile sunset view.  And the lake's about 1 1/2 mile wide and well over 50' deep.

We like to go out and float for hours laying in the rear sunbed of our 24SSLX--listening to music.  We're only 3/4 mile from home, and can run back and forth burning very little gas if we need something--like more beer and snacks.

Our favorite time on the water is at night . You can't beat it ! The water is like glass. Good music,good friends and a great boat....nothing like it! We have lights in the biminy it is my favorite time to be on the water.

We recently boated through the canal system from one lake to another and stayed at a cottage for the week. Went out at night for sunset cruises and strolled around.   It was our first time boating at night and it was incredible.  Nothing like being out in the middle of the lake with a clear sky.  It also happened to be the first time we completely regretted removing the underwater LED lights from our original build sheet.  

Last edited by a moderator:
We live on a private lake ,, so no concerns about debris, rocks etc. 

For me the best time to be on the water begins 15 minutes before sunset

123489793.jpg

Whats hard to believe is as the night proggresses the sky becomes more spectaucular :)

110612593.jpg

94687506.jpg

Being on the water at night is Breataking for me 

Last edited by a moderator:
We made a couple of evening outings this past weekend.   Like mentioned the water is like glass and even with the ton of boat traffic out for last nights "ring of fire" ceremony at our small 5800 acre lake it still was a good time.  We took friends out for supper via boat saturday night and it was well after dark when we made it back in.  Nothing better than a smooth as glass lake and good friends to gab with as you ride around just relaxing after a long week at work.

Saturday nights sunset:

DSCN8551_zpsybz7wlrv.jpg

Sunday night before the ring of fire:

DSCN8558_zpszx7ytofy.jpg

DSCN8565_zpsx4zhvuwx.jpg

Please don't use your docking lights for anything but docking. They ruin your night vision and that of any other boater that has the misfortune to encounter you. Night vision takes almost 30 minutes to completely come back. Boating at night is a wonderful experience when done with caution. Docking lights for anything other than docking endanger everyone around you. If you need light, use a handheld, narrow beam flashlight. This way you affect only your own night vision. Your fellow boaters will thank you

Nice pixs IndianLakeBum

Beautiful pics from ILB and Pittsburg! Thanks for sharing.

Docking lights should not be used when under way.  They blind other boaters at night, and at most should be toggled on quickly to get your bearings and then turned off.  Turn off all the other "bling" lights, run with just nav and anchor light and you'll be amazed how good you night vision is.  Until you come across someone with headlights on.

Boating at night is magical, but keeps speeds down and stay in familiar waters. And everyone wears a life jacket at night, no exceptions.

I saw this the other day for all you night boaters! Pretty slick! Heck it might even be handy in the daytime for loading. 

That's pretty cool. Definitely make it easier to guide on to trailer!

I'm sure there are a few LEO's on some lakes that would fine you for using these as soon as the trailer  hit the water... ;)

I'm sure there are a few LEO's on some lakes that would fine you for using these as soon as the trailer  hit the water... ;)

Not sure. Don't think it would be the on the lake guys bothering you since it is on the trailer, not the boat. Since the dock isn't a public street, I think they'd have a hard time having a ticket stand up in court. Of course, that is as long as the people turned them OFF once loaded!

Not sure. Don't think it would be the on the lake guys bothering you since it is on the trailer, not the boat. Since the dock isn't a public street, I think they'd have a hard time having a ticket stand up in court. Of course, that is as long as the people turned them OFF once loaded!

I doubt they would as well. I am being more tongue in cheek as they typically use the lights as a reason to stop and chat. Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

I doubt they would as well. I am being more tongue in cheek as they typically use the lights as a reason to stop and chat. Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

Very true, very true. Every once and a while you get that ONE guy trying to be the big dog on the dock!

Back