Do you cover your boat if you are using it daily for several days

Joindy

Reaction score
I keep my new 22 ft Bennington on a boat lift with canvas lift roof..about 10 ft wide and 24 ft long. So when my boat is on lift it is under the lift cover. I crank the lift all the way up and it gets pontoons out of the water, and the top of railing...and seat tops are about 12 inches from the top of lift. Side flaps on the canvas lift cover hang down about to the railing tops, but the wind can blow them up. The lift cover fully protects the interior from sunlight, except for early in morning or late in afternoon, and protects from light rain. But if windy, rain will blow into the boat. If I plan on using the boat the next several days, I will not put the boat cover on the boat as I am getting older and it takes me 5-10 minutes to cover, and only 1 minute to crank it up. I live on the lake, so boat sometimes gets daily use.  If we are expecting severe storms, or if we plan on not using for several days,  I will cover. 

Question....is it ok for the new boat to get occasional rain blowing in...or would you cover after each days use, and whenever expecting rain?   Thanks...

I have no experience in this matter but by covering it you will probably cut down on the number of spiders and bugs.

We cover every day ,no matter what 

I put the individual seat covers on if no rain in forecast  or the full cover if rain is forecast. The individual seat covers are great and fast, especially at 2AM.

I don't use my boat like most people, but when we use it we go camping out of it for 4-6 days at a time. We never cover it unless a storm comes through, and that is simply to keep our stuff dry. The rest of the time it's covered. I definitely wouldn't bother with the cover with the setup you have. The only reason to use it is to keep sun and water out, and it sounds like you have that covered. 

If mine was on a lift under roof, I would just lay the cover on top of the boat and not snap it. Well maybe snap a couple of them.......

If the sun hits any of your furniture while on the lift ,I would figure a way to at least cover that .

Ours is covered all the time even though we have a lift with a roof.

I'd say on our lake, it's about 50/50.   Not a ton of brand new boats, but many people use them almost daily and leave them uncovered most of the summer.

We tend to not cover the boat if we are coming back later in the day.....for a sunset cruise.  For the first few months we would go to the lake and uncover the boat on either friday or saturday and not cover it up till we were heading home for the week on sunday night.  That was before I realized that it takes less time to just throw the cover on and snap a few snaps when we are finished than it does to clean up spider poop and the occasional bird bomb that makes it's way onto the boat overnight.  By throwing the cover on I mean just laying the cover over the boat (don't have to put the poles in) and snapping it up for the night.  That way it keeps the dew and bugs off the seats and less cleanup before we can go out and enjoy the boat the next day.  We are pretty well protected against rain unless it's a frog drowner then the back of the swimdeck and motor gets wet.

DSCN07521_zps54b516a1.jpg

Nice looking toons!

We just use our custom Sumbrella fabric covers on the seats and console.  Our Benny is at our dock, in the water.

Of course, I am a bit of a slob!

For your situation, I wouldn't worry too much about the cover.  I know people that keep theirs uncovered all summer in all conditions.  They must keep them clean because they still look new.  I cannot do that though.  I am getting a covered lift, I won't put my cover on once this summer because of the covered lift.

Like Carl, we cover ours with the playpen cover every night even though it is on a covered lift. One keeps it dry, the other keeps it clean. Just starting season #3 and my interior looks brand new

Cover at night to keep out spider and bugs. Spider crap is the worst thing to try and remove from your interior. Will leave off during day if we cruise in the morning and plan on an afternoon cruise. This is also only if it is under the covered slip. I put my motor cover on even then to prevent sun fade.

Back