Dock Installed Inproperly

If they just bought the place, don't say a word about the issue. If they don't know where the dock should be anyway then play dumb until they ask. Might not turn into an issue with the neighbors. Good Luck!

Grin - I wish.  Since both our places were for sale, and bought by them and us, at the same time - our property line is still marked.  Thus, just my dock coming to the property line is  very...very...very obvious.  If I put the lift on that side, and encroach an additional 8 feet or so, it would be dramatic.  Especially when each foot of frontage is so scarce and pricey.  I think its about $2400 per LINERAR foot on the lake without a home on it...just for the few remaining empty lots. Thus, we are talking maybe $19-20,000 of lakefrontage in regards to value.

I went over and met our new neighbor.  Wonderful couple that lives half the year in Florida on the gulf, and will now live the other half up here on Houghton Lake.  

I went over the dock and lift situation with them.  I shared with them some of our ideas for working around the problem: changing up the dock, lift at the end instead of the side, etc...

They were very understanding, and let us know not to worry about it.  They said they were okay with us encroaching this year and just putting the lift where it was planned: left/north side of the dock. 

Amen!  I am so appreciative of their understanding and flexibility.  I would have totally understood them just saying no.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Canopy cover goes on it after the boat comes in tomorrow morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grin - I wish.  Since both our places were for sale, and bought by them and us, at the same time - our property line is still marked.  Thus, just my dock coming to the property line is  very...very...very obvious.  If I put the lift on that side, and encroach an additional 8 feet or so, it would be dramatic.  Especially when each foot of frontage is so scarce and pricey.  I think its about $2400 per LINERAR foot on the lake without a home on it...just for the few remaining empty lots. Thus, we are talking maybe $19-20,000 of lakefrontage in regards to value.

Ok then approach them and tell them the truth. You know that when people are by the water they seem to be a lot nicer and a little more understanding about things.

Glad to hear it all worked out!  Good neighbors are sometimes hard to come by.  I think you are going to have a great Summer.

I went over and met our new neighbor.  Wonderful couple that lives half the year in Florida on the gulf, and will now live the other half up here on Houghton Lake.  

I went over the dock and lift situation with them.  I shared with them some of our ideas for working around the problem: changing up the dock, lift at the end instead of the side, etc...

They were very understanding, and not to worry about it.  They said they were okay with us encroaching this year and just putting the lift where it was planned: left/north side of the dock. 

Amen!  I am so appreciative of their understanding and flexibility.  I would have totally understood them just saying no.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Canopy cover goes on it after the boat comes in tomorrow morning.

Great news! It is all coming together for you. Now the best part boat delivery. Enjoy it is going to be a memorable day :D .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you have some great neighbors!! Now bring on that new Benny! :)  

Hope you plan to provide them with lots of boat rides this summer.

I have insurance matters troubling me tonite from a bump and run in a parking lot that I suffered this week. I hope they are not incurring any additional liability due to your lift being on their property. You may want to consider an umbrella liability policy (they are cheap) for the year to cover you in the event there is an issue that cause them to come back on you. Jus' sayin'.

Maybe Andy can elaborate.

We are going to get them a nice bottle of wine, a gift certificate to an amazing speciality meat store that is up here on the lake, and a thank you card.  

I generally am the type to just go out and help a neighbor if they are doing something in their yard and could use another set of hands, or just a bit more muscle power. No worries for the in that regard. Even though they don't realize it, I cleaned up their shore line debris after the snow melted already...   :D

On the insurance side Randy, we have been carrying a decent umbrella policy as a normal matter of life for a few years now.  We kind of hit a tipping point between income and assets where we decided for the minor cost of it annually, it doesn't hurt to have something like that for general back up.  

I would strongly recommend looking into them for anyone that has income or assets someone could go after if something goes side ways in life. It is a nice piece of additional security, at a fairly nominal cost annually.

Nice looking setup you have there.  You will love pulling in your boat and not having to put the cover on it :)

Looks like he already knows the importance of an umbrella policy!!!! I also suggest higher limits on your auto & home policy as well. $100/$300 doesn't go as far as it used to!

On the insurance side Randy, we have been carrying a decent umbrella policy as a normal matter of life for a few years now.  We kind of hit a tipping point between income and assets where we decided for the minor cost of it annually, it doesn't hurt to have something like that for general back up.  

I would strongly recommend looking into them for anyone that has income or assets someone could go after if something goes side ways in life. It is a nice piece of additional security, at a fairly nominal cost annually.

I know I veered this topic off course, but anyone who is reading this topic needs to take heed. Like Mr. Smith, we did a review and learned that we indeed had accumulated enough assets that one lawsuit would have wiped us out, even after our insurance company paid to their maximum. Look at the liability caps on your home, auto, boat policies. If they are less than your assets (include retirement accounts and anticipated pension benefits) you need to seriously consider an umbrella policy.

OK, back to dock talk.

Hey Vikingstaff, I was wondering whether you had your dock installed yet. What I find hard to believe is that the seawall folks didn't put the anchor point on an angle to begin with. I'm wondering if this Fall you can't just take a sledge and angle it yourself. Maybe I don't quite understand, but it seems as though you could just take out a bit of concrete where needed. Then you wouldn't potentially have to pay for a new bracket. Just thinking out loud.

We had our boat delivered a year ago this past weekend and the weather was beautiful, particularly compared to this year. I imagine that right about now you've got your new Benny on the lift because the web cam shows the weather to be cloudy and the lake fairly angry. 

I like Michiman's idea, but I'd probably rent a gas powered concrete saw and remove a slight amount to create the notch for the angle. Seems simple, but then most of my projects seem simple while they are in the thought process. Good luck to you. I'm also glad you have some great new neighbors. 

I like Michiman's idea, but I'd probably rent a gas powered concrete saw and remove a slight amount to create the notch for the angle. Seems simple, but then most of my projects seem simple while they are in the thought process. Good luck to you. I'm also glad you have some great new neighbors. 

Yeah, the success of many projects depends on using the right equipment! I'd "second" the concrete saw idea! 

Great ideas Spoiled and Michiman! That is exactly what my wife and I are planning to do. Concrete saw this upcoming fall and recut our seawall "notch" to both fit the width of our dock (its 5" to narrow as is) and correct for the angle.  I should have done this to begin with, but being new up there, the darn dock people had  a "solution".

I have the boat, and will post a thread tonight or tomorrow with pictures.  I finally have pictures of it, have driven, docked it in the lift, and thanked heaven above for being so lucky.  We love the new boat.

Great ideas Spoiled and Michiman! That is exactly what my wife and I are planning to do. Concrete saw this upcoming fall and recut our seawall "notch" to both fit the width of our dock (its 5" to narrow as is) and correct for the angle.  I should have done this to begin with, but being new up there, the darn dock people had  a "solution".

I have the boat, and will post a thread tonight or tomorrow with pictures.  I finally have pictures of it, have driven, docked it in the lift, and thanked heaven above for being so lucky.  We love the new boat.

Looking forward to pics!

Post em!

Back