Docking in a tight slip, bow in or stern in ?

dmctruby

Reaction score
I have 2010 2250 with a 115 merc. The new dock spot I am in is very tight. It's a double slip, but with two boats in there is only inches between the two and no dock arm between the two boats. I am boat 2 in this configuration Slip arm left boat1 boat2 Slip arm right. Currently I dock bow in. When pulling out an away from the slip I do not have much room to turn the boat. Infact it I pulled straight back out of the slip, by the time my bow cleared my slip arm I would only have maybe 3 to 4 feet behind me before I hit the boats/slip on the other side of the channel.

The wind direction is normally a cross direction, pulling in the wind is at my bow and starboard. So it sometimes help to act as a wind break as I pull into the slip. Lately the winds have been more port side. With a stiff wind I am finding it very difficult to control a 22-24 boat into an area of very small margin.

There is a 22ft model 2011 two slips up from me. He is docked stern in. I am wondering if he knows something I do not....and if's easier to control the boat backing in. I manage ok, and I have yet to see him pull it or out. I have been boating for 20 years, but this is my first pontoon and I am finding controlling it to make precise movement is going to take more pratice then expected. So....would docking stern in help with control ?

I have 2010 2250 with a 115 merc. The new dock spot I am in is very tight. It's a double slip, but with two boats in there is only inches between the two and no dock arm between the two boats. I am boat 2 in this configuration Slip arm left boat1 boat2 Slip arm right. Currently I dock bow in. When pulling out an away from the slip I do not have much room to turn the boat. Infact it I pulled straight back out of the slip, by the time my bow cleared my slip arm I would only have maybe 3 to 4 feet behind me before I hit the boats/slip on the other side of the channel.

The wind direction is normally a cross direction, pulling in the wind is at my bow and starboard. So it sometimes help to act as a wind break as I pull into the slip. Lately the winds have been more port side. With a stiff wind I am finding it very difficult to control a 22-24 boat into an area of very small margin.

There is a 22ft model 2011 two slips up from me. He is docked stern in. I am wondering if he knows something I do not....and if's easier to control the boat backing in. I manage ok, and I have yet to see him pull it or out. I have been boating for 20 years, but this is my first pontoon and I am finding controlling it to make precise movement is going to take more pratice then expected. So....would docking stern in help with control ?
Yep after 4 years of tooning I find it way easier to steer the back end into tight places first.

Thanks. After thinking about it, that makes allot of sense. Since the boat turns only off a pivot in the stern , going stern in should help in making smaller corrections faster in steerings.

Yep after 4 years of tooning I find it way easier to steer the back end into tight places first.

Back