Does anybody lease trailers around us?

Willb

Reaction score
I didn't buy a trailer but opted for a lift since our season is short. Works great-covered dock in the summer then the dealership picks her up: services, winterized, and placed in doors on the rack.

We've been talking about going to Lake Cumberland in Ky and maybe a trip to the Ohio river by Wheeling and boating up to Pittsburgh and back.

To purchase a trailer would be huge waste for me as it will sit and rot away other than that.

You could always sell it. Your not planning on seeing any other bodies of water next year?

When I bought my first pontoon boat in 1985, I bought a trailer to bring it home from Arkansas.  After I seldom used the trailer, I sold the trailer to my local boat dealer to use as a loaner trailer.

As my boat aged, I seldom got it out of the boathouse and out of the water.  And after 27 years of great service, the lower unit on my 1985 Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke was cooked.

My penalty for not having a trailer and not properly taking care of my motor was having to purchase a 2012 Bennington 24SSLX with a Yamaha F150--and this time a trailer.

Having the trailer has made me more diligent about maintenance.  I've enjoyed pulling the boat and going to surrounding lakes.  We intend to tow the boat to Chattanooga, and cruise 200 miles down river later this month.  And by having a trailer, many owners wouldn't have to spend big money on dealer oil changes/service and running up expensive storage charges for the winter.

For me, the trailer was money well spent.

You could always sell it. Your not planning on seeing any other bodies of water next year?
This is in planning for next year.

Bamaman- appreciate the thoughts, but time for me and having a great dealer on the water leads me with zero use. The cost of outside storage vs inside heated is marginal at best not including the harsh weather implications of Ohio winters.

Service- same thing. Spend a day is awesome and the cost they charge for maintenance vs me pulling it and doing myself isn't cost effective. Maybe I'm lucky.

Unfortunately they font lease/loan trailers.

27 years without proper service on your motor....  Not sure if you got lucky or not... that seems like a long time!

I know Wilson Marine offers free trailer useage which is a nice perk, but I don't know how long they will let it be out.

Check with your dealer to see if they offer the same free trailer useage.

If I were looking to purchase a used boat I don't think I would even consider the boat if didn't come with a trailer, therefore I believe that you would recoup the money spent on the trailer.  IMO dealers throw them in with a low markup on them, on advice from here on trailer selection I upgraded to a dual tandem with surge brakes even though my boat only trailers less than a mile to winter storage 

Being retired we have a lot of time for boating, and we trailer to many different lakes in the region. A couple of things to consider when buying a trailer. After getting a blow out with our first trailer, a single axel, we were stuck beside the highway for 2 hours. I did have a spare but the car jack didn't work  Learning from experiences we traded and bought a tandem wheel trailer w/ Impulse brakes, Tires load rated "D", 13" rims. I also caught a hydraulic  6k lbs. car jack  The trailer pulls different and softer, and I feel safer know that if a tire does go I can now get off the highway to a safe place. The trailer is also convenient.     keep the tires protected, the trailer will last for ever. Money well spent.

Back