Don't Want Bimini Resting on Rear Cushion!!!

scottsgretch

Reaction score
When folded and not in use, my bimini top on my '06 207L rests on the rear engine cover cushion constantly putting pressure on foam cushion and vinyl. Since my railing and top tubing is the square type I've looked for aftermarket tubing pieces and brackets that I could use or fabricate to raise the assembly but to no avail. I've seen some other pontoon manufacturers use a 'shortened' piece of aluminum tubing with plastic brackets at either end to attach to top side rail and bimini top frame. I know something like this is out there somewhere and i wish Bennington sold replacement parts for the bimini for its pontoons that could solve this problem. IT APPEARS THAT THE NEW BENNINGTON'S HAVE THIS 'SHORT SUPPORT SQUARE TUBE' set-up, complete with brackets to raise up the bimini tops, but I can't find how to OR if i can purchase them from BENNINGTON. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the stock answer is going to be go to a Bennington dealer - I imagine they would have plenty of the pieces (square tube about 4 inches long and the hard plastic pieces at each end) Good luck.

Newer models have a stubby leg for just that purpose.

If Bennington will sell you the appropriate parts, and I don't see why they wouldn't, then you should be able to install them with just a drill, some minor hand tools and a quick trip to the hardware store for a bolt or pin to act as the hinge.

Having said that, is there any reason why leaving your bimini in the 45° rear-swept position not working for you? I'm just curious.

Newer models have a stubby leg for just that purpose.

If Bennington will sell you the appropriate parts, and I don't see why they wouldn't, then you should be able to install them with just a drill, some minor hand tools and a quick trip to the hardware store for a bolt or pin to act as the hinge.

Having said that, is there any reason why leaving your bimini in the 45° rear-swept position not working for you? I'm just curious.
One, I keep the boat on a boat lift. Bimini won't fit under the canopy without being in its resting position. Two, our lake connects to a larger lake and we actually pilot thru under a roadway and the bimini must also be in its resting down positon to get thru. So, those are the two main reasons.

One, I keep the boat on a boat lift. Bimini won't fit under the canopy without being in its resting position. Two, our lake connects to a larger lake and we actually pilot thru under a roadway and the bimini must also be in its resting down position to get thru. So, those are the two main reasons.
Ahhh, gotcha.

Say, you know...

Until you get ahold of those other pieces bought and installed, you might be able to find something to put under the canopy to alleviate the marks that you would otherwise get.

In fact, if you have two flotation cushions on board, you can lay those on the sundeck and then lay the bimini down on top of them. You gotta carry flotation devices for everyone on board anyway, and those cushions fit the bill.

Here's another idea: many years back I bought some closed cell foam pads to put on the gunnels of an upside down canoe while hauling atop a vehicle. Those might work, too.

They look like these: http://www.amazon.com/Malone-Standard-Block-Universal-Carrier/dp/B000SXN90C

Ahhh, gotcha.

Say, you know...

Until you get ahold of those other pieces bought and installed, you might be able to find something to put under the canopy to alleviate the marks that you would otherwise get.

In fact, if you have two flotation cushions on board, you can lay those on the sundeck and then lay the bimini down on top of them. You gotta carry flotation devices for everyone on board anyway, and those cushions fit the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please order Bennington "bimini trailering struts" from your dealer! Another reminder to all...Bennington sells parts through our dealer network, we do not sell direct! :)

Please order Bennington "bimini trailering struts" from your dealer! Another reminder to all...Bennington sells parts through our dealer network, we do not sell direct! :)
Oh, so THAT'S what you call those things I suggested he buy. Groovy.

Does anyone have a picture of these "bimini trailering struts"? I would also like something like that for when I trailer my boat (2005 2575 RL I/O). Also, what's the price?

Does anyone have a picture of these "bimini trailering struts"? I would also like something like that for when I trailer my boat (2005 2575 RL I/O). Also, what's the price?
Keith, just bought these for my '05 2550 RL. Same reason as you. I procured two 14" pieces of tubing(like the top frame) and made the pieces longer. Makes the full cover easier to put on when on the lift. I'll send pics if you need them. Steve

Back