Dual Batery Question

Steve

Reaction score
I have the dual battery setup from the factory. My buddy has a Bennington and added a dual battery setup. I never turn my switch off when leave the boat for extended periods. Had the same setup on my previous 2 Benningtons and never shut them off.

Other than the obvious problems should I forget to shut something off is there some other reason I should turn it off. The marina that installed my buddies said to always turn it off. One of the reasons I don't is I have Ultra Legs and figured I want power to the hydraulic pump should the Legs lose pressure and need a quick boost. Thoughts?

I have two batteries and a switch, my dealor recommended turning off after each use.  I asked why and he stated 1) Additional security  2). Prevent draining of batteries if something is left on.  No other reasons given when pressed.

I have dual batteries installed by dealer.  The only switch I ever turn off is my main power switch on the dash, I have a switch on the battery set up that I never touch.

I turn the battery switch off also 

We always switch off at end of day. 

I only turn the switch off when the boat will be sitting for an extended time. 

But my boat stays in my back yard on the lift. If I had a boat at a marina,I'd be in the habit of turning it off just as an additional (slow them down)security measure. 

I have one battery and no shut off. Never had a problem.

I have dual and only shut off for extended periods of time.

If you guys have to charge your batteries, do you remove them from the bot before charging?

I use a battery tender for the boat battery left in the boat.  I pull the trolling motor battery for recharging. 

Always shut off. You wouldn't want a dead battery to ruin a nice day on the water. Better safe than sorry!

I never pull batteries. In summer I just turn off the main switch every time I put it away. While underway I leave it on both to charge both and then switch to 1 or 2 while beached, floating, listening to music etc...   If I'm not going to be using it for several weeks at a time (over the winter) I put both on a solar charger between uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my old boat, I had one battery and had to put a disconnect switch on it as there was some sort of drain on it and if you left it for a couple weeks, the battery would be drained and I would have to pull the battery out of the car to jump start the boat.  Putting the switch in and turning it off each time solved that problem. Now I have 2 batteries on the Benny and turn them off every time.  Why chance it if you already have a switch in place...

Six of one, half dozen of the other appears to be the rule on this one. We have the dual set-up and after one season I had no issues with just turning off the helm switches rather than the main perko. I guess I just never thought about doing it so I'm not sure if I just got lucky or what. Not being the sharpest tool, I'm assuming that I'd have to reset my radio settings if I decided to play it really safe and turn off the perko switch, correct?

Michiman I have a kmc 10 radio and I don't lose any settings when I turn off the battery switch.

Six of one, half dozen of the other appears to be the rule on this one. We have the dual set-up and after one season I had no issues with just turning off the helm switches rather than the main perko. I guess I just never thought about doing it so I'm not sure if I just got lucky or what. Not being the sharpest tool, I'm assuming that I'd have to reset my radio settings if I decided to play it really safe and turn off the perko switch, correct?

On my previous boat, the master battery switch cut off everything except the radio memory and the bilge pump. 

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll start throwing the switch.

Dual batteries here, and always turn the master switch to the off position when not in use.  My concern would be if the backup had drained down (and I didn't know it), I'm out on the water all day listening to the music, get ready to go home and primary doesn't have enough juice to get the motor cranking.

About once/year I pull the batteries one at a time and charge them on my workbench.

I have two batteries on mine. I have a switch, but leave it on all of the time. When my accessories are on, they are pulling from both batteries. When I'm running, both batteries are charging during that time. Some have said that they have one battery and have never had an issue with it running down while just sitting and running the stereo, so I figure if they don't have problem with one, I surely shouldn't have problems with two. 

Hello. I have two batteries and switch on my Bennington I just took delivery on.  I believe the purpose of having a switch is so you can choose to drain one battery when anchored (radio etc) and have the second battery as back up for starting. Also, when docked for longer periods, can move switch to "off" so that there is no drain on either battery.  Not sure why you wouldn't use the switch if you have it!

Back