Dual batteries

keithkz

Reaction score
I have a 2005 2575RL I/O with the 5.7L Volvo Penta (280HP). It has one battery. I have the upgraded stereo system with an amplifier. I am concerned abou the battery getting low after having it on for extended periods while anchoring out while swimming , etc. Is my concern justified or do you think one battery is good enough? I was considering having it wired for dual batteries. Thanks in advance for anyone's response.

Hi Keith:

I had the same debate and decided to go another route.....

I bought a Stanley 1000 peak/500 starting amp portable device. It is capable of starting a dead battery (if it happens) plus it has a small air compressor for inflating water toys. It charges from a 110 source, is easy to store under a seat and was under $100.

I figure that a 2nd battery, the switch, covered box and assorted cables was closer to twice that amount of cash and it's another battery to tend. Another advantage is that I can assist other boaters who need a jump or if my tow vehicle needs the same.

Worth considering.

I have a 2005 2575RL I/O with the 5.7L Volvo Penta (280HP). It has one battery. I have the upgraded stereo system with an amplifier. I am concerned abou the battery getting low after having it on for extended periods while anchoring out while swimming , etc. Is my concern justified or do you think one battery is good enough? I was considering having it wired for dual batteries. Thanks in advance for anyone's response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Keithkz and welcome to the forum! Dual batts. have been the topic of much discussion on here, with many opinions on the pros and cons of 2 batts. If you are not worried about extra weight, and have room for another, 2 batteries are the way to go in my opinion. We have a 2011 20SLi, and that was one of my first adds. For me, the peace of mind is worth any perceived downside. Let us know how it turns out for you!

Hi Keith:

I had the same debate and decided to go another route.....

I bought a Stanley 1000 peak/500 starting amp portable device. It is capable of starting a dead battery (if it happens) plus it has a small air compressor for inflating water toys. It charges from a 110 source, is easy to store under a seat and was under $100.

I figure that a 2nd battery, the switch, covered box and assorted cables was closer to twice that amount of cash and it's another battery to tend. Another advantage is that I can assist other boaters who need a jump or if my tow vehicle needs the same.

Worth considering.
Thanks for advice. In fact, I do own the same starting portable device. I bought it just over a year ago from Sears (their best one). Maybe for now I'll just use that but if I have issues with my battery dying on any kind of a regular basis I will eventually get dual batteries (I difinately have the space for them in that huge engine compartment with my I/O). Thanks to both of you guys for the great advice!

Keith

Thanks for advice. In fact, I do own the same starting portable device. I bought it just over a year ago from Sears (their best one). Maybe for now I'll just use that but if I have issues with my battery dying on any kind of a regular basis I will eventually get dual batteries (I difinately have the space for them in that huge engine compartment with my I/O). Thanks to both of you guys for the great advice!

Keith
Keith, consider adding a voltage-sensing relay with the duals. Easiest way to make sure they both stay charged. Defender Marine had the best price for me.

Hi Keith

I've had 2 batteries on all of boats and I have never been stranded on the lake due to a dead battery ( knock on wood ). We tend to spend alot of time anchored up listening to toons. I considered a portable device but with my luck I would end up leaving it somewhere else when I needed it most. For me having the second battery gives me peace of mind. As far as weight, I don't believe the minimal weight of a second battery is going to have much of and effect on performance.

Steve

I have a 2575 RCW I/O with a 350 mercruiser. It has a foster rockgate upgraded stereo with factory subs. My pontoon only has one batt. and I am also concerned about it going dead and not being able to start motor. I also thought about using a good battery box to start engine if battery was to low, but wondering how much hassle to raise engine compartment,RCW has rear facing lounges with electic cylinder to raise the lounge to expose batt. and engine comparment, would be if batt. was too low to start engine. Bennington also has the red batt. switch in, the engine compartment so how would one get to the switch, if the boat had two batteries? Any sugguestions would be helpful. Thanks

Back