Dual Elliptical Owners - What are your hauling / storage solutions?

Kells

Reaction score
Now that i'm forced to pull my boat for the first time after purchasing it this year, i'm realizing that i'm in a slight predicament.

NOBODY has a cantilever / center lift trailer that fits this setup (too unstable at < 38" wide)

NOBODY has a method of hauling this type of pontoon and delivering it on dry land for storage (unless picked from trailer with special forklift)

I seem to have 2 options

Pay over $1000 every year to have it picked up on a trailer, and forklifted off at the marina (including winterization + storage)

Pay over $3000 to buy a trailer to store it on in my own garage / property.

Before I shell out some cash, am I missing any storage / transportation options?  

What is everyone else doing that has this setup?  

Can I build a storage rack to store my boat on?  Maybe a center supported box frame that I can slide the boat off of a float-on trailer on to?

I have unlimited use of the dealers trailer which is awesome, but I have no way to get the boat off...  Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a trailer. And you have no one else to depend on. It will make life easier in the long run and boating will be more fun

I only move my ESP boat twice a year to put it on the lift and take it back to the dealer in the fall. I decided I'd rather handle the boat myself, so I have a trailer that fits my boat perfectly. I've had great luck with these guys in Elkhart who sell Mid America trailers at reasonable prices www.trailersforpontoons.com. Several others here have bought from them as well.

Here is my ESP version, with a couple of mods

I agree with the guys above, but here's how I look at it.

You could pay $1000 to the marina year after year after year...

Or get a $3000 trailer now, and know that you could sell the trailer at any time over the next 10 years and probably get $2000 out of it (since it sounds like it will barely get used).  That means a new trailer really only costs you $1000 total for the next 10 years because you'll always be able to get $2k out of it when you sell it. 

Or, you could pay $1000 to the marina year after year after year.

I would think storing a brand new boat on your own property where you can keep an eye on it is worth something too...  Say that's worth $100 a year for the next 10 years.  As an example, maybe you will noticing rodents right away when they start eating at something, or brush leaves off the back deck before they stain, or preventing your prop or motor from being stolen at the marina over the winter, or just running out and snapping a photo for a forum member with a question over the winter.  If any of that is worth $100 a year (for the next 10 years) then buying a new trailer is free!  You may not have that same boat for 10 years, but my guess is you would keep the trailer for use with your next PADS boat, so I'm thinking it is not unreasonable that you will have this trailer for 10 years (or more) .

Yup agree w/the guys............Buy a trailer. You may use it more than you think. You'll have one when you need it and don't have to depend on anybody...............

Trailer is the way to go! It is nice being able to plan around your schedule instead of waiting on someone else too. I like keeping is stored near by too. We've all heard stories on here of marinas causing damage too. No one will watch and care for your boat like you will.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Trailer shopping time!

Any suggestions?  Has anyone used Wolverine brand?

Have not used it but they seem pretty cheap. I went with a Genesis, not top of the line by any means but I wanted a galvanized trailer that wouldn't rust out in a year and cost an arm and a leg for the amount of use it would see.  I'll try to get some photos of the boat on it this weekend if you'd like. 

Food for thought. Give a moose a boat and he'll want a truck. Give a moose a truck and he'll want a trailer. Give a moose a truck and a boat and a trailer and he'll want to travel.

There are a lot of places to go in this world. And boating vacations are awesome. 

If you are getting a trailer, and think you might want to travel, get a good trailer.

The biggest tell on trailer quality is welded or bolted. It's simple to guess which is better.

The welded trailers with a tandem setup, disc brakes on at least one axle and D rated tires will probably go significantly north of $3,000. Maybe $4,000?

I went with a Phoenix trailer. I'm happy with it. I don't think trailers have as defined of a brand/quality line like boats. But like everything, if you do your research you'll get what you pay for.

-Jeff

The Mid America 2 toon version is under $3k with brakes. I upgraded to disc brakes on both axles, plus a few dressier items. All welded, very strong.

Mine is welded as well. If I was going the painted route I would have gone Mid America for sure. And this moose is looking forward to more boat vacations next year! boat-check, trailer-check, new truck-check! boating wather......uh

I don't see the tongue steps on the trailer in the picture. I have tongue steps and they are a necessity in my opinion.

Specs mention they are standard, but I'd double check.

Surge brakes - check drum or disc. Disc way better. 

It says that the tongue jack is optional. Get a really good one.

No mention of a spare tire...something to think about.

And make double/triple sure those are D rated tires. It's just one guy's opinion, but D rated tires are necessary. The tire specs on that page don't show D. They just show standard trailering tires. The sidewalls on my trailer tires specify ST185/80-D13 if I remember right. 

Lastly, you'll probably want tie down positions on all 4 corners for towing a pontoon. Not just at the transom.

Couple of other things just popped into my mind. My trailer is designated "heavy duty" by the mfr. I'm not sure what all makes it so, but (not to beat a dead horse) the D rated tires were part of the Heavy Duty package. Load capacity on my 22' trailer is 5400. On the non-heavy-duty option capacity is only 4200. My boat weighs a full 4200 pounds. So I have some breathing room with the HD package.

Also, my trailer weighs 1500 pounds. I have a tritoon setup, so that center bunk adds some weight. The Wolverine trailer's empty weight spec from their website is 740 pounds. That's half. I'd wonder where a mfr can save 1/2 the weight. 

I bought a really good trailer. My boat travels thousands of miles every year. So I made sure I invested in a good one. My Phoenix was in the mid 4's. I don't remember exactly. I'm not saying anything positive or negative about any particular trailer. Just wanted to point out, I bought a really good one - it was mid $4k and weighs two times what the Wolverine trailer weighs. For what it matters...just sharing.

I bought a Wolverine crank up factory direct and honestly, I wasn't super impressed. I think there are better quality trailers. Mind you, I was price shopping when I brought it. "You get what you pay for."

Maybe we should have a "post a pic of your trailer" thread so perspective buyers can see them and help decide.

Get a good trailer with at least a 1,000lb more capacity than you think you need.  Our used boat came with an new undersized (capacity) trailer. I believe the owner bought it for the price.  It was close to unsafe on the freeway.Once we got it to the lake we only travel a mile to launch.  The bunk supports have bent, the winch support/front steps tower has bent from strain of winching boat on.  Have had 2 sets of bearings go bad.  Tires rub on fenders in the corners.

Our other toon trailer is a Hooser dual axle trailer with 1500lb over capacity for the boat.  We travel 1,400 miles annually to Canada at above posted speed limits.  It has 8" E rated tires that give a low ride height and no sway of the load.  The trailer is ten years old and was broken one weld on the fender skirt.  They are made in north east IN and you can pick them up at the factory, if no local dealer.  

Most people have no idea how much the boat weighs will all the stuff we put in them.  It is easy to get a trailer with not enough capacity.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of what i'm considering:

The bunks will be adjustable to accomodate the elliptical toons...

med_gallery_5694_697_75362.jpg

Now that i'm forced to pull my boat for the first time after purchasing it this year, i'm realizing that i'm in a slight predicament.

NOBODY has a cantilever / center lift trailer that fits this setup (too unstable at < 38" wide)

NOBODY has a method of hauling this type of pontoon and delivering it on dry land for storage (unless picked from trailer with special forklift)

I seem to have 2 options

Pay over $1000 every year to have it picked up on a trailer, and forklifted off at the marina (including winterization + storage)

Pay over $3000 to buy a trailer to store it on in my own garage / property.

Before I shell out some cash, am I missing any storage / transportation options?  

What is everyone else doing that has this setup?  

Can I build a storage rack to store my boat on?  Maybe a center supported box frame that I can slide the boat off of a float-on trailer on to?

I have unlimited use of the dealers trailer which is awesome, but I have no way to get the boat off...  Any thoughts on that?
Hi Kells,

We have the 32" Ellipticals and bought the trailer (Shorelandr)...  we too wanted the scissor lift, but not available.  We don't want to depend on any services should we need to pull out the boat urgently and we store on our property.  If you want a picture, PM me.

Best of luck.

Back