E15

kaydano

Reaction score

Saw this sticker on a local gas pump yesterday.  Not sure why this uploaded upside down, but looks to me like the boating industry was heard...

It says "use in boats is prohibited by federal law".

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 10 cents less than regular up here.

Just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee 

Was shocked to see 

I was capable of using E15 

With the cost of gas here 

87 Octane is used in car

While NO Ethanol is used on Benny 

125327324.jpg

Wish we had the choice.   Here in Mass, all that is available is the Ethanol junk.

I think it's awesome news that E15 in a boat violates federal law! That's about the best outcome the boating world could have asked for because ethanol ain't going away.

I think it's awesome news that E15 in a boat violates federal law! That's about the best outcome the boating world could have asked for because ethanol ain't going away.
According to Trump it is going away, if he becomes President :)

So time to bring back real gas that is readily available. The closest pure gas according to the site shared by Link is 10 miles from my place. I literally have to drive by 20 stations to get there.  

Lakeliving, I don't believe that list is absolute as the place I get my ethanol free gas on the lake is not on the list either 

Someone has to add it to the list, such as yourself. I believe it's user updated.

I guess I'll have to start investigating other stations I typically don't stop at to find some closer.

Fortunately for me the station less than a mile from where the pontoon is has ethanol free gas. It is on the list already.

I have 2 places within 30 miles of me selling 90 octane Ethanol Free (PURE GAS)...  $2.98 per gallon, and $2.75 per gallon.

With 92 Octane regular gas < $2.00 and products like Sta-Bil marine, would it really make a difference going one or the other?  I've seen people on this forum swear by regular unleaded for over a decade on the same outboard... 

@lakeliving The Sunoco in Brighton, pumps 1 and 2 (Yellow Handle) is very close to you I believe.

I saw that Sunoco on the list. I have two stations about a 1/2 mile from my dock so driving 14 miles round trip is a pain. I looked at the manual and it states run pure gas if you can, if not up to 10% ethanol is ok but no more. It also recommends the use of ring free fuel additive and fuel stabilizer and conditioner.

I saw that Sunoco on the list. I have two stations about a 1/2 mile from my dock so driving 14 miles round trip is a pain. I looked at the manual and it states run pure gas if you can, if not up to 10% ethanol is ok but no more. It also recommends the use of ring free fuel additive and fuel stabilizer and conditioner.

So we're talking 3 different products... is there a "recommended" product for each of these 3 requirements?  I've got to calculate the benefit (if any) after adding 3 products to the gas,... 

I think Yamalube was mentioned in the manual.  It says it's a ring free and includes additive so this may kill 2 birds here, 

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Outboard-Additive-Quart-ACC-RNGFR-PL-32/dp/B00BBLM8ZW/
2oz $40 treats 320 gallons so that adds 0.12c per gallon

What product satisfies the fuel conditioner requirement?

I've been researching this for the last hour, it seems the Ring Free is superior to Seafoam, but still add Sta-Bil marine.  Sounds like this combo will ensure 0 issues with standard E-10 gas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CAW2DK
32oz $21 treats 160 Gals which adds $0.13 per gal.

Between the 2 items (ring free and stabil) it would cost exactly $0.25 per gal. which would save me roughly $0.80 per gallon over getting pure gas.

30 gallons saves me $2.40 which is marginal savings really.

MY CONCLUSION:

Probably best to just get PURE GAS and use Ring Free anyway for an optimum setup.

if not able to get Pure Gas, or inconvenient to make the trip, in a pinch have Sta-bil on hand and not worry about it.

we're talking $15 a season max in cost savings or expense, either way...

It probably cost me more time researching this than I would have saved, LOL.

I used to drive by the Pinckney station on my daily commute, and actually filled up the car at that station because gas is cheap there.

Anyway, my point is that I never once saw anybody purchase the ethanol free gas there, which is a specific pump at the back, pre-pay, no card reader.

So, would it be better to buy 'old' ethanol free, or the closest, most convenient, fresh E10 and add ringfree and "fuel stabilizer and conditioner", which is only 2 Yamalube products.

I can't say about the Brighton location, although that station is much busier.  I will likely go with some Top Tier 87 octane and add the above mentioned products.  I wonder if I can just pre-mix them and then have only one additive.

Although to Kells point above, saving $0.80 per gallon over 30 gallons is a $24.00 savings per tank.

I used to drive by the Pinckney station on my daily commute, and actually filled up the car at that station because gas is cheap there.

Anyway, my point is that I never once saw anybody purchase the ethanol free gas there, which is a specific pump at the back, pre-pay, no card reader.

So, would it be better to buy 'old' ethanol free, or the closest, most convenient, fresh E10 and add ringfree and "fuel stabilizer and conditioner", which is only 2 Yamalube products.

I can't say about the Brighton location, although that station is much busier.  I will likely go with some Top Tier 87 octane and add the above mentioned products.  I wonder if I can just pre-mix them and then have only one additive.

Although to Kells point above, saving $0.80 per gallon over 30 gallons is a $24.00 savings per tank.

I also wondered about the "quality" of the pure gas...  Does anyone have any data on this concern?  

Back