Echo100/Transducer problem

Nerosync

Reaction score
We just picked up our new 22ssx on Friday morning and have only had it out a couple times but I noticed that the Echo100 is only running on "simulator" mode shown in the bottom left hand corner. If I turn it off and back on it beeps and flashes "no transducer" at the bottom of the screen with "Enter" next to it. When I press enter it goes back into simulator mode.

I checked the transducer multiple times and it is in the down position so that it is parallel to the ground and even with the bottom of the boat as it should be. I checked the connections under the console and it appears to be connected properly but I have never wired one up to know for sure.

I called the dealership and made them aware of the issue but they were unable to get a rigger on the phone with me to try and offer up and suggestions. So here I am, hopefully all of you can help me out here. I would really hate to have to trailer the boat back to the dealership to have them look it over since its a good 40min drive.

There's only a power and ground wire to the garmin and the transducer cable. There aren't many connections to go bad and you do have power and ground. Did you take off the transducer connection and then reinstall it? Did you check the cable from the transducer to the Garmin? Do you know if you have an extension cable from the transducer to the unit. If you don't have the underskinning, it should be easy to follow the cable. That's about all I can do with a keyboard. B)

I unfortunately did not have much time to really look it over before having to jump on a plane this afternoon, and sadly will have to wait until I get back home mid-week to really get under and trace it. But at least you give me a solid starting point when I do :D I'm hoping that the dealer will be a peach and send a guy over to the house to check it out while I am out of state so its ready to rock when I get back home. But I know I am dreaming big for that to probably happen.

I'll check mine today, but I think you have to turn "simulator" off in the settings.

I know it sounds dumb, but you were checking it while in water correct?

It does not matter if you are in simulator, but it won't work if not submerged (if I recall correctly)

Here it from their FAQ:

Q. My fishfinder is stuck in Simulator mode. What can I do?

A. Check to see that the transducer cable is plugged into the power/data cable that comes from the back of your unit. A common misconception is that simply connecting the power/data cable to the fishfinder also connects the transducer, but the transducer itself must also connect to the power/data cable. Also check that the simulator is turned off (located on the Tools tab of the Setup menu).

No worries Devil, any time you guys take to reply to one of my NOOB questions is much appreciated. Yes, the boat was in the water, and yes I ran through the setup in the manual to turn it off, configure the depth alert, fish recognition, etc. That's when I would get the no transducer with audible beep. I will check the cables more thoroughly when I get home while the boat is on the trailer and then take it out to test it out again. I'll let you guys no how things progress. Thanks!

No worries Devil, any time you guys take to reply to one of my NOOB questions is much appreciated. Yes, the boat was in the water, and yes I ran through the setup in the manual to turn it off, configure the depth alert, fish recognition, etc. That's when I would get the no transducer with audible beep. I will check the cables more thoroughly when I get home while the boat is on the trailer and then take it out to test it out again. I'll let you guys no how things progress. Thanks!
I'll look at my 100 when I get back later this afternoon. I think there is a pigtail back at the transducer which connects to the main cable between there and the head unit. If that were loose you'd see that problem. It just sounds like it can't find it when it boots so defaults to simulator.

Sorry, did not make it to lake today, but does sound like cable disconnected somewhere.

There is a 3 or 4' pigtail which they tuck underneath. I pulled mine out and took this picture so you could see how it screws together. My guess is either that on or the one behind the GPS head isn't tight.

There is a 3 or 4' pigtail which they tuck underneath. I pulled mine out and took this picture so you could see how it screws together. My guess is either that on or the one behind the GPS head isn't tight.
If you can take a pic of the one you have under the console I would appreciate it. The one I have under the console looks nothing like that. Its a white "junction box" like coupler on mine under the console. I don't know what the one under the boat looks like until I get back on Wednesday.

Here is one under the dash.

Thank you sir, that looks similar to mine. I will let you know how it turns out when I get back. Thanks again!

First of all, thank you all for the tips and pictures. As soon as I got home I crawled under the toon and checked all the wiring. Turned out to be the plug in the back of the unit was not seated all the way into the back of the unit. as soon as I reseated it, I turned on the switch and the Echo100 fired right up not in simulator mode. Love it when its an easy fix. Thanks again fellas!

Excellent. Now get out there and test it out !!!

Tested it out for a few hours tonight. Works great! The boys caught a few gills, and a couple crappie. Good times.

Good times. That's what it's all about. Keep the kids close as long as you can. Bring their friends on the boat and get to know them well. That's the reason we bought the boat. Can't wait to get her out of storage.

Score one for the guys on the forum. Always someone here that knows the answer. I didn't even know there was a pigtail. Until now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exact same problem on our new 20 SLX. My dealer tested a new transducer on the unit and it worked. They have ordered a new transducer and will change out the current one when it arrives from Bennington. It's quite a cheap unit to be installing on these great boats. It's an easy fix, but really more of an annoyance to buy a brand new boat and have problems with the factory fish/depth finder. I've already got a portable Humminbird Sonar/GPS for the front of my boat. Good luck.

Back