electric trolling motor

Flying Butcher

Reaction score
Looking at a cruise and fish. When trolling I can see the back two fishing chairs as working well. It would seem to me, for casting, that it would be better if the electric trolling motor was on the back of the tritoon. That way you could move in and out from shoreline using the trolling motor easier than trying to operate it if it was on the front. Haven't seen it mounted that way. Any thoughts guys?

I always thought trolling motors worked better pulled than pushing.

Yeah up front is the way to go. I don't have one yet but there is a good reason 99.9% of boats that have them install them on the front.

You would have more drag pulling the end caps than the nose cones. With a front mount the boat pivots on the O/B, in the rear you will be pushing it thru the water. It should work, make sure the motor has lots of thrust. Try it, if it doesn't perform well you can always mount it in the traditional spot.

It is better upfront and in the center but for my SLX I put it up front and to the starboard side.

I understand pulling is better, but if you want to sit in the rear fishing chairs, when you are fishing, then it will be difficult to see where the boat is going faceing backwards??

You need someone who doesn't like to fish to navigate the boat for you!!!! Sometimes I'll get my wife to paddle me around our cove while I fish on the back of our paddle wheeler. It's a win win!

Or you get the Ipilot link for your fish finder and have the trolling motor follow the shoreline.

How does that work with docks? Do you just have it follow the shoreline 75' out?

It would. It could also follow bottom contour lines.

Back