engine dies

grand lake

Reaction score
This is more of an engine issue but thought I'd post it. I have a Yamaha 225 which runs great but will die at low RPMs about 10% of the time. It only happens when docking and I bring the RPMs down to 1000 or less to putt in. I'm OK until I slow to idle and go to reverse. It happens when I back out of the dock and switch to forward. I've had boats before and never had this problem. I'm pausing between forward and reverse by going to neutral but is still does it. Any suggestions?

Grand lake, you did not tell us how old your engine[boat] is, if it's under warranty get 'er over to your dealer. If not, well, todays computer controlled engines are not real easy to diagnose without the proper diagnostic tools. A few basic checks are about all an owner can do on their own, you could try looking on a Yamaha specific forum for similar problems. There may be an answer there, otherwise, it's probably time to let your local Yamaha dealer take a look at it for you :( And, by the way, welcome to the Club :)

Grand lake, you did not tell us how old your engine[boat] is, if it's under warranty get 'er over to your dealer. If not, well, todays computer controlled engines are not real easy to diagnose without the proper diagnostic tools. A few basic checks are about all an owner can do on their own, you could try looking on a Yamaha specific forum for similar problems. There may be an answer there, otherwise, it's probably time to let your local Yamaha dealer take a look at it for you :( And, by the way, welcome to the Club :)
I have a 2006. Bought it in June with 33 hours on it. Just hit 66 hrs. My mechanic says that the idle and other settings are pre set at the factory and can't be changed. I'm thinking it is the the Yamaha 704 remote control. Hopefully, I'll develope "the touch." Thanks again. Grand Lake Oh.

Go over to Iboats.com and check out the Yamaha forum. There are some very good mechanics over there.

And welcome to the forum :)

Back