engine performance

Debra

Reaction score
Me and my husband purchased a 22 SF fishing with a Mercury 115 . The motor ran at top speed of 5800 rpm's until recently and now we can't get more than 5300 rpm's out of it. Nothing has changed on boat no extra weight, no algae , anywhere,has any one experienced this , and any suggestions .

Throttle linkage in a bind someplace not letting it go that last 500 rpms. When we got our boat back from the factory the throttle would only allow rpm's to 4K when it used to do 5400.  Ended up being the cable was in a slight bind under the helm and would allow it travel all the way....easy fix and was taken care of in about 20 minutes at the dealers dock.

Maybe it's trimmed out different...trimmed down or up can cause more or less load on the motor which would loose some rpm's.

Throttle linkage in a bind someplace not letting it go that last 500 rpms. When we got our boat back from the factory the throttle would only allow rpm's to 4K when it used to do 5400.  Ended up being the cable was in a slight bind under the helm and would allow it travel all the way....easy fix and was taken care of in about 20 minutes at the dealers dock.

Maybe it's trimmed out different...trimmed down or up can cause more or less load on the motor which would loose some rpm's.

Thanks! We will check it out. Going to take it out tomorrow. It's been so hot here we haven't been able to enjoy it.

Thanks! We will check it out. Going to take it out tomorrow. It's been so hot here we haven't been able to enjoy it.

My husband and I took the boat out on Monday checked couldn't get better than 5300 rpm's . We came back in and went to the Mercury Dealer where we bought the boat, told owner what we had found out from Mercury Rep and our blog sight.He didn't want to believe us.  He went with my husband on the boat to run diagnostic test and found nothing wrong with motor or throttle cable but he still could not get over 5350 rpm's without blowing prop out.So he was going to try a different  prop. We went back this morning to find out he had put a 15 pitch prop on it and went out to try it and got 5900 rpm's with better plan on lifting pads.Much happier but they still can't explain why we could get the 5900 rpm's when we first bought it then go to 5300 rpm's .

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the max rpm for a 115 yamaha?  A friend just bought a new bennington 22'pontoon and dealer installed a stainless prop on it ( don't know pitch), but he is hitting 6500 at full throttle.

What is the max rpm for a 115 yamaha?  A friend just bought a new bennington 22'pontoon and dealer installed a stainless prop on it ( don't know pitch), but he is hitting 6500 at full throttle.

Sounds a little high, but every engine has a specific operating RPM range

Back