Engine Questions

The posts are in essence a survey of what the members use. As you can see, every manufacturer has its' followers and all show good track records for longevity. In this day and age, a manufacturer has to be fairly equal or they could not stay in business. We all have our favorites but in reality, if we were forced to switch we would most likely be just a happy with what we got. I would choose whatever has the best service close to your location.

I agree with buying the brand of engine that has the best service close to where you will be using the boat.
I also think if you trade boats every few years re-sale enters into it also. I'm not bashing any brands, but some brands of engines will have better re-sale potential and sell for a higher price.

+1 on both posts immediately above in regards to motor.

My 300 Yamaha is not loud. Brother has Merc 300 and we both agree that they are both about the same on the loud scale they just sound different. We can go 40 MPH and have a conversation easily.
Only conversation at 40 MPH is my wife telling me to SLOW DOWN!

Only conversation at 40 MPH is my wife telling me to SLOW DOWN!

I am lucky my wife likes it when I open it up. She will say what is point of that 300 if we are not going to let it rip!

I am lucky my wife likes it when I open it up. She will say what is point of that 300 if we are not going to let it rip!
My wife does most of the driving which is fine with me. I like to kickback and try different seats and watch the scenery go by. She is pretty conservative especially after filling up that 52 gallon tank a few times but she'll open it up if she has/want to.....So when I get a chance.....

When I crack into the throttle I get the "Stop showing off" comment. I do like trolling other pontoons though and passing them. :)

I don’t like the looks of someone with a two stroke, easing through a channel looking like an old time mosquito truck fogging for bugs. But, to each their own.

Hey!! My two stroke doesn’t doesn’t do any bug control! But I do like to cruise through the channel looking for other pontoons like Andy! ;)

Good thing all you guys don’t snowmobile...... I wouldn’t argue the 4 stroke boat motor but I’m not too sure you could give me a 4 stroke sled..... well if it was free I could always trade it in for a 2 stroke! :)

Good thing all you guys don’t snowmobile...... I wouldn’t argue the 4 stroke boat motor but I’m not too sure you could give me a 4 stroke sled..... well if it was free I could always trade it in for a 2 stroke! :)

I don’t know. o_O

Love the lighter weight and speedy power range of our 2-strokes! However, I am partial to our 4 stroke sled compared to our two 2-stroke sleds. From not messing with oil, to being quiet without all the exhaust smoke, to the motor running much cooler. The 4-stroke can go without overheating in much more diverse snow and temperature conditions. :)

If I wasn’t still under extended warranty on our 2-strokes I might sell them and go 4 stroke across the board. Plus Skidoo just came out with a 4-stroke turbo on my favorite motor (900 ACE). Might be able to get 2-stroke performance from a 4-stroke.:cool:

I don’t know. o_O

Love the lighter weight and speedy power range of our 2-strokes! However, I am partial to our 4 stroke sled compared to our two 2-stroke sleds. From not messing with oil, to being quiet without all the exhaust smoke, to the motor running much cooler. The 4-stroke can go without overheating in much more diverse snow and temperature conditions. :)

If I wasn’t still under extended warranty on our 2-strokes I might sell them and go 4 stroke across the board. Plus Skidoo just came out with a 4-stroke turbo on my favorite motor (900 ACE). Might be able to get 2-stroke performance from a 4-stroke.:cool:
My in-laws neighbor just picked a 900 turbo, I’ll take if for a quick rip this weekend, the 1200’s did ok, the yamacats run good but don’t handle like Polaris or Skidoo. Besides you’d be hard pressed to talk me out of a new 850!! ;)

My in-laws neighbor just picked a 900 turbo, I’ll take if for a quick rip this weekend, the 1200’s did ok, the yamacats run good but don’t handle like Polaris or Skidoo. Besides you’d be hard pressed to talk me out of a new 850!! ;)
Totally let me know what you think of their new 900 turbo. If I could get a new sled, I think I’d be all over one of them. That aside, I bet your 850 has lots of zoom!!! One of our 2-strokes is an 800 e-tec and its pretty impressive in my mind. I’m assuming that 850 is even more so.

My 2 stroke jet ski makes some great power!
We have had both 2-stroke and 4-stroke Yamaha Wave Runners. I will go with the 4-stroke. Quieter, less smoke and odor, and I think more power.

We have had both 2-stroke and 4-stroke Yamaha Wave Runners. I will go with the 4-stroke. Quieter, less smoke and odor, and I think more power.
My 17 year old 1200cc polaris beat a new yamaha waverunner on our old lake. The dude wasn't too happy! I wouldn't be opposed to getting a 4 stroke unit one day though.

Back