Engine Selection

Roadtech

Reaction score
I ordered a Bennington R Series 2350. I ordered it with a Yamaha 250HP 3.3L engine. After again looking at the engine options on the website, I am wondering if I ordered the best engine option. There are three 250's shown: 3.3L, 4.2L VMAX SHO, and 4.2L with electronic controls. The 3.3L and 4.2L VMAX SHO are about the same price. The 4.2L with electronic controls is about $2000 more. Any input on the best way to go would be appreciated.

I would go for the VMAX. There's no replacement for displacement.    :D

If your budget allows, give the F300 consideration.  I've got the same boat and for 2015-on the R23s-they upped the max HP to 300.  I didn't want to leave anything on the table with my "last boat" :)

I am going to 2nd the previous post...please consider going max hp. If budget allows of course...

I learned on my boat, the only engine options I considered were max-hp options. when buying the most premium boat with the most premium options and paying the corresponding ultra-premium price...it wasn't worth saving a couple of thousand on a $70,000+ boat. And mine is only a G.

Just food for thought.

Get as much as you can afford. I love my SHO!

What I don't understand is the 4.2L SHO is shown as about $500 cheaper than the 3.3L. Does anyone know why?

All I know is that the 250 SHO's had a disastrous first year or two with engine failures.  The piston rings would not seat properly as the engines run so cool.  That resulted in oil blowing by the rings into the crankcase/oil sump--called "making oil."  The factory's fix is to change the oil and filter,  warm the engine up properly and run the tee total stew out of the motor.  They also had some problems with the thrust bearing in the engine. 

The 250 SHO's appear to now be doing much better going into their 4th year in service.  I monitor the big bass fishing website BBCBoards.net, and that's my source of information.

As far as I can tell, the regular F250 does a great job, and I've not heard any complaints.  There are sure a bunch of F250s out of Florida on charter fishing boats with mega hours put on them.  And it does a great job on tritoon boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, the regular F250 does a great job, and I've not heard any complaints.  There are sure a bunch of F250s out of Florida on charter fishing boats with mega hours put on them.  And it does a great job on tritoon boats.
Do you mean the 3.3L F250 or the 4.2L F250?

The 3.3 F250's. 

Isn't the 4.2 liter 250 is a brand new motor slanted toward the offshore fishermen?  It appears to be essentially a high torque version of the SHO with the capability of very high level electronics hooking together GPS's, auto pilots and fish finders.  Those type electronics on an inland lake would be overkill. 

The 4.2 motors would be great on a tritoon if the price was reasonable, but they're probably really pricey.

FWIW, I have a 2575RCW and my brother has the 2550RCL.  I have the 200hp SHO and he has the 250 3.3L.  Mine is quicker all the way around.  Side by side, I can cruise at 3600rpm while he's somewhere between 4000-4200rpm to hold the same speed.  Just our own experience of these specific boats.  Mileage may vary, but I'd suggest a SHO over the 3.3L.  It does the same work but with less effort.

IMHO, there are only (2) compromises with the SHO over the 3.3L.  Both of which are obvious.

1. 20" transom on SHO.  If you do lots of figure-eights...say while pulling kids on tubes...you'll want to be consciously aware of possible cavitation.  Simple adjustment of trim and its no issue. 

2. Thirtier.  It requires a bit more gas since its a 4.2L.  But only marginal in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck on your decision.

Good Info for the group tjshanhan

FWIW, I have a 2575RCW and my brother has the 2550RCL.  I have the 200hp SHO and he has the 250 3.3L.  Mine is quicker all the way around.  Side by side, I can cruise at 3600rpm while he's somewhere between 4000-4200rpm to hold the same speed.  Just our own experience of these specific boats.  Mileage may vary, but I'd suggest a SHO over the 3.3L.  It does the same work but with less effort.

IMHO, there are only (2) compromises with the SHO over the 3.3L.  Both of which are obvious.

1. 20" transom on SHO.  If you do lots of figure-eights...say while pulling kids on tubes...you'll want to be consciously aware of possible cavitation.  Simple adjustment of trim and its no issue. 

2. Thirtier.  It requires a bit more gas since its a 4.2L.  But only marginal in the grand scheme of things.

Very good info.

They do also offer the SHO in 25" shaft now.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1413411463ffsbx5ctqmfhttp://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1413411463ffsbx5ctqmf

25" offering might be why the 20" is less costly?

We've got the 250 SHO on our 2250 GSR and love it. Very quick for skiing and tubing, while still terrific for slow speed puttering around the lake. I faced the exact same decision and opted for greater displacement. No regrets.

FWIW, I have a 2575RCW and my brother has the 2550RCL. I have the 200hp SHO and he has the 250 3.3L. Mine is quicker all the way around. Side by side, I can cruise at 3600rpm while he's somewhere between 4000-4200rpm to hold the same speed. Just our own experience of these specific boats. Mileage may vary, but I'd suggest a SHO over the 3.3L. It does the same work but with less effort.

IMHO, there are only (2) compromises with the SHO over the 3.3L. Both of which are obvious.

1. 20" transom on SHO. If you do lots of figure-eights...say while pulling kids on tubes...you'll want to be consciously aware of possible cavitation. Simple adjustment of trim and its no issue.

2. Thirtier. It requires a bit more gas since its a 4.2L. But only marginal in the grand scheme of things.

Excellent info. Are they both propped the same?

TomS, why are there 20 & 25 inch shafts for pontoon boats. Is one of them the standard and the other has to be used for special circumstances?  Once again, thanks for your knowledge on this forum

TomS, why are there 20 & 25 inch shafts for pontoon boats. Is one of them the standard and the other has to be used for special circumstances?  Once again, thanks for your knowledge on this forum
Not really sure, maybe a question for Bamaman. I assume the 20" shaft was mainly for low profile bass boats, until pontoon buyers created a lot of demand for the torque of the SHO. The pontoon manufacturers don't want to make 2 different transoms for each model, so I'm sure they applied some pressure too.

The SHO's were designed to go head to head against Mercury's 250 XS Pro--the standard of the bassboat industry.  And the fishermen wiith the SHO's really like them.  Bass boats are usually 20" motors.  Biggest problem is that the 20" motor is that the SHO motor cowlings will get wet in tight turns and when doing water sports.

I'm surprised that Yamaha has never taken time to come out with a 25" lower unit on a SHO.  The 4.2 250 offshore motor probably fills in the void.  I've never seen that motor on our inland lake.

Not every pontoon manufacturer makes a special 20" transom.  But we all know that Bennington is a special company that tries their best to be everything for every buyer.

Back