Engine size for 22" Tritoon SPS

WHB

Reaction score
Anyone with a 22" with SPS or that has an opinion about whether a 175 would be decent on a 22" with SPS? It seems that 23" SPS with a 200 is a great combo for satisfying performance. But, the 22" size would be fine for me and so am wondering if the slightly smaller and less expensive engine is a reasonable option that won't compromise performance on the smaller boat? Thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

I have a 150 on my 2018 G22 with SPS. It does great but I really wish I had 200. I can hit 37 MPH on smooth water with clean rooms. Cheapest time to buy more HP is when you purchase. It’s the only regret I have with my setup.

I had a 200hp on a 22 foot and it was a great combination. I would highly recommend it.

Last edited:
mine is 24 foot, with the 200, that is the max for that boat and i would not want to go any lower, i would always go with the max HP allowed, just my take.

We have 150 with SPS and are happy with its performance. Grands no longer keep saying “go faster PaPa.” Of course a 200 or 250 etc. would probably add even more performance. Not sure a 175 would offer much more bang for your buck. Keep in mind, “ buy your last boat first.”

I have never been a fan of smaller HP leaps. I would either save a little more money and get the 150HP, or go for max and get the 200HP. We have a 24’ SPS with a 200HP. I would not want any less, and now that I have Sea Legs, would love a little more.

ALL of that said, the 175 HP on a 22” SPS will be a GREAT running motor and a GREAT performing boat. However, I just don’t see its worth fitting in between the 150’s and the 200’s. That’s just me...

What's the price difference between the 150, 175, and 200???

I have a 22 ssbxp swing back with sps and a Yamaha 150 and it's great for tubing and skiing etc. having more hp is never a bad thing but I'm pretty happy with the 150 and sps hull. The s series are lighter than the R and Q boats so you'd probably need a bigger engine for those series.

I originally looked at the 23 but the 22 was about $5000 less and the trade off was one less seat in the port side bow and gaining another door in that spot.

If you can afford it, go 200. I maxed out with the 200 and SPS and love it, but I would take more if I could...never heard one person on this forum complain about having too much HP! Regrets suck, avoid em if you can. Plus, you can't take money with you when your gone, enjoy the day!!!

it’s always easier to pull back on the stick then push for more and have none!! You’ll NEVER buy horsepower for less than you can when you purchase the boat!! Trust me on that one!!

On the Benny Build Site, the approx ranges for Yamahas in each size are:
150: $8,400 to $10,500
175: $10,000 to $12,000
200: $14,000 to $16,000
Thx just curious.....

Back