engine size performance

Tracy & Lisa T.

Reaction score
My wife Lisa and I just purchased a Bennie 2575 RCWCP.......its is being built now and we are excited to take delivery of it next month.......looking at putting either a Merc. 150 or 225 Verado on it. Wondering what type of performance / speed these 2 engines will deliver on this pontoon?

If anyone has these motors and can share their experiences that would be helpful.

Thanks.....Tracy T.

Tracy & Lisa, while i cannot speak to the specifics of either combination, what i can say is order the largest engine you can afford. no one ever complains they have too much power, many regret not going big from the start.

To upgrade later is much more expensive than upgrading when the boat is built, so go for it now if you can swing it!

Otherwise, welcome to the forum, and enjoy your new Bennington :)

The question needs to be asked as to what you want the boat to do and how you intend to use it.

If you will be wanting to ski or tube behind it then go big if you just want a quiet low key cruiser go with a smaller. But as with most of the answers you will get I too can vouch for the bigger especially if you will be going with an ESP package.

I am one of the few on this forum that does not advocate going with the biggest motor you can afford. Does that make me wrong? Maybe, but I think that it depends on how and where you plan to use the boat.

In my case, I live on a relatively small calm inland lake and I will be doing 100% of my boating with my new 2575RCW on this lake. I have a ski boat, so I do not plan on using the pontoon for skiing or tubing and I do not care about top end speed. I was going to go with a 90hp Yamaha but was convinced on this forum that I would not be happy with that small of a motor. I went with a 115hp and I do think that I made the correct choice with the help from my fellow forum members.

Things that I do not like about large motors on pontoons are:

1) Added cost with no apparent associated added value (for me anyway). This pontoon is a party cruiser. B)

2) Added weight that among other things cause the boat to set low at the stern high in the bow.

3) Fuel economy. This may not be a big issue but again there is no upside for me so why pay more.

4) The larger the motor the harder it is to steer, you may need hydraulic steering, more added cost.

My thoughts.

3) Fuel economy. This may not be a big issue but again there is no upside for me so why pay more.
I always struggle with this wishing I had more. I filled up at my marina on Saturday @ $4.79/gallon. When summer mix hits the docks it should be $5.00+/gallon. This is when I am hugging my 115 and telling it how much I love it. Those poor dock kids think I've got a few screws loose! :p

I am one of the few on this forum that does not advocate going with the biggest motor you can afford. Does that make me wrong? Maybe, but I think that it depends on how and where you plan to use the boat.

In my case, I live on a relatively small calm inland lake and I will be doing 100% of my boating with my new 2575RCW on this lake. I have a ski boat, so I do not plan on using the pontoon for skiing or tubing and I do not care about top end speed. I was going to go with a 90hp Yamaha but was convinced on this forum that I would not be happy with that small of a motor. I went with a 115hp and I do think that I made the correct choice with the help from my fellow forum members.

Things that I do not like about large motors on pontoons are:

1) Added cost with no apparent associated added value (for me anyway). This pontoon is a party cruiser. B)

2) Added weight that among other things cause the boat to set low at the stern high in the bow.

4) The larger the motor the harder it is to steer, you may need hydraulic steering, more added cost.

My thoughts.
MrFreeze, Your points are valid. Then there is the argument that one size does not fit all. IMHO, the pontoon boat CAN come close.

You list 4 line items, three of which are frugal specific. Subject to frugal, speed potential or lack thereof is operator controlled. Most modern automobiles are capable of much more performance than ever used. Engines only wear out because of the use of fuel. Various engines with various horsepower have fuel flow curve charts indicating similar fuel consumption at similar speeds. Power steering is a luxury some appreciate on any engine size.

The issue of ride attitude is a finite point. Again, IMHO, aft wt. raises the bow none to much. A level hull plows and may cause undesireable bow spray or "sneezing".

Residual resale value is a consideration. Horsepower demographics have most engines at 150 or less. Subject to more people appreciating the pontoon boat is capable of replacing the ski boat, small cruiser and luxury party barge, bigger engines may enjoy enviable real depreciation.

CcanDo, you make very good points, but when it comes to a pontoon replacing a ski boat I must say IMHO it's not going to happen. At lease not for me or any skier that has advanced passed novice status.

I have alway been frugal when it comes to buying things with no perceived value. On the other hand I have been known to spend like a drunken sailor on things that I perceive as quality. This Bennington is in the drunken sailor category IMHO. :D

Hopefully I am not going to be wishing I bought the power steering for my 115 hp :unsure: . The boat arrived at my dealer two days ago and he is rigging it this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
CcanDo, you make very good points, but when it comes to a pontoon replacing a ski boat I must say IMHO it's not going to happen.
A 45mph pontoon boat that turns like a monohull won't do the job?

That's a genuine question by the way. I wouldn't know since the only water I ski on is the white kind.

Tracy -

If you can afford the 225, get it. You'll be able to run in the 40's, although what specific speed depends on which log option you go with and what prop you run.

CcanDo, you make very good points, but when it comes to a pontoon replacing a ski boat I must say IMHO it's not going to happen. At lease not for me or any skier that has advanced passed novice status.

I have alway been frugal when it comes to buying things with no perceived value. On the other hand I have been known to spend like a drunken sailor on things that I perceive as quality. This Bennington is in the drunken sailor category IMHO. :D

Hopefully I am not going to be wishing I bought the power steering for my 115 hp :unsure: . The boat arrived at my dealer two days ago and he is rigging it this week.
MrFreeze, I concur, the pontoon boat carries a perceived stigma. I also, had the same opinion. However, because my wife is intimidated by speed, wanted a platform to move about on and meanwhile, feel secure, I shopped and bought the Bennington. The intial order included a 250 Yamaha. I was informed the 250 would "approach" 50 mph. And, it did, that and better, behind the pickup. However, on the water it fell a little short. The ski boats, run-a-bouts, cruisers and even a couple of turtles (fast turtles, LOL) passed and went on up the lake. The second trip out had the 350 Yamaha. The ski boats, run-a-bouts and cruisers were in the rear view mirror. (incidently,never saw those turtles again)

However, the boat didn't handle as desired and on the trailer, the skag was dangerously close to the ground surface. Granted, the engine can be tilted. IMHO, tilting that/any engine is not ideal and loads the transom. A hydraulic jack plate was the chosen solution...raise the then set back engine for cleaner prop water and trailer ground clearance. It may have been a blessing in disguise when Bennington Engineering would not approve use of a jack plate. With that, we were tactfully allerted to hull stress concern. Calculations were then made to support design of a gusset system, creating superior integrity before the jack plate.

Three things were evident the first trip out. The boat handled as expected. The boat was faster. The CG moved aft. (and, did you ever see that little white flag turtles carry) Seriously, it would be an under statement to say the Bennington Pontoon boat is now fun. We have a couple of off-shore catamarans, one that is dialed in to run over 150, 170+ with the change of supercharger pulleys and race gas. Those are fun, but serious machinery. Little or no room for operating mistakes, the engines are 80 to 100K each, etc. The Bennington is a low stress, fun sleeper.

The pontoon boat lends itself to designing in as much wake as you want. It's my understanding, considerable resources have gone into designing ski-boat wake, handling, planing and etc. Subject to your specifications, I feel certain the pontoon boat is capable of competing. And, I don't have a dog in the hunt.....only turtles. LOL

A 45mph pontoon boat that turns like a monohull won't do the job?

That's a genuine question by the way. I wouldn't know since the only water I ski on is the white kind.

Tracy -

(quote)

In my opinion no. Skiers don't need speed (most ski at 25 to 32) they need low end torque to yank them out of the water fast. Then consistent wake, small for skiing and large for wake boarding and surfing, hence water pump blasting. Also a stable pull from a ski pylon mounted in the center of the boat. Finally maneuverability.

A pontoon falls short on these. Ever see a pontoon pulling a skier in competition? :)

Don't get me wrong, a pontoon is a great boat I have one. Way better at hauling large numbers of people around a lake enjoying each others company. Ski boat falls way short on that.

Tracy and Lisa T.

Welcome, all I here on this website is put the biggest engine on you can afford, no one ever takes into consideration the fuel consumption, maintenance, added extras needed to make this beast perform.

Most of the people with a pontoon cruise, most people with a fiberglass hull cruise, they never really hold their engine at WOT for an hour or two, if so they will not have an engine for very long, but yes it is good to have the power when needed.

I have a friend in the marine business and yes he has been in the business for many years, he has told me numerous times to stay away from the verados, they have numerous sensors built in to shut the engine down if anything is detected, there are few mechanics that are trained to work on the engines and most shops do not have the diagnostic equipment to evaluate the problems, and the owners of these engines cannot give them away when they find this out.

not knocking the Varado but they are designed for offshore wide open throttle all the time, anything in between and they dont like it.

I have a 75 hp Merc. 4 stroke runs about 22 mph and gets very good fuel mileage i have 12 hours on the pontoon and still have a little over 3/4 tank fuel, yes i have had the 30' open bows with the 496 mag engines that will run around 65mph but I found myself running around 30mph 80% of the time, I thought about upgradeing to a 90hp for about $1500 more only to get maybe 3 more mph 115hp for about $2500 more for maybe 5mph more and a 150hp that will probably get you 30mph for about $5000 more.

think about what you want to do with the pontoon 75% of the time and what you want to do with it for the other 25% and then consider where you need to spend your money.

Just my two cents thanks.

I second the thought that a pontoon boat will never replace a complete ski boat. I skied in a few tourneys back in the 80's as a amateur. It not all about horsepower. Torque and a flat wake behind the boat is the biggest components to skiing at a high level. However, I know most of us aren't in that category. For the average Joe on 2 ski's or maybe the guy to gets up on 2 and drops one, then a toon would be okay to ski behind for the majority of people. Skipping from one side of the wake to the other to cut and carve good turns, you'd get airborne going over a toons wake.

We pull tubes with kids who like big wakes to jump back and forth over them and crappie the whip.

The choice comes to personal uses of the boat. I chose a 32" elip boat with strakes and as big of a motor is could get on the boat. We roam the great lakes and we don't need to turn hard. We wanted a boat who could take whatever mother nature could throw at us. My boat runs low 40's and I am pleased. I have a mercury optimax. 150 pro xs which has near 165hp. Yeah, I can't outurn a ESP boat, but I'll be side by side with one that 50 to another 100hp.

Choice is all yours. Seems if your dealer has 2 boats that you can water demo with similar hp and deck length.

Hope this helps

Todd

You realize y'all are trying to be logical about the most irrational purchase any of us are likely to make? :D

You realize y'all are trying to be logical about the most irrational purchase any of us are likely to make? :D
Yes logic is a curse that I have to fight every day. I ruins a good bit of fun. ;)

In my opinion no. Skiers don't need speed (most ski at 25 to 32) they need low end torque to yank them out of the water fast. Then consistent wake, small for skiing and large for wake boarding and surfing, hence water pump blasting. Also a stable pull from a ski pylon mounted in the center of the boat. Finally maneuverability.

A pontoon falls short on these. Ever see a pontoon pulling a skier in competition? :)

Don't get me wrong, a pontoon is a great boat I have one. Way better at hauling large numbers of people around a lake enjoying each others company. Ski boat falls way short on that.

MrFreeze, you as a ME, is possible to create an expanded multi-task pontoon design ? That asked, IMHO, the pontoon boat profile may be an infant opportunity. It is an assumed fact, society is in constant search of recreation. Recreation may be construed as exploring. Some choose the bar, some choose biking, automobiles and etc. However, water sports also, is a fragmented discipline that statiscally factors the adage, "the two happiest days of my life, the day I bought the boat and the day I sold the boat". Often, those two days are not far apart.

Water is something the masses gravitate towards, though is not for everyone. The "not everyone" may well include those that were not satisfied by their perceived "nich" decision/purchase. Whereas, the budget is a constant nag, it is easy to over extend and cause remorse. On the other hand, "pride of ownership" is such a powerful sub-concious physiological component.

The masses are believed to be comprised of those hungry for freedom and recognition. The multi-tasking vessel serves both groups. Beyond those groups, there is the application specific spec. group.

That is not to say, the pontoon/log design is a replacement for yachts type of thing. I do wonder though, isn't there more design that could be done to attract more happy pontoon users.

Why are you telling us your single ???? LOL
Uhhh... I'm still trying to find someone who is completely out of my league; but is suffering from temporary insanity? :unsure:

Products can alway be improved upon if you look close enough or try hard enough but at some point it becomes more trouble than its worth. When it comes to boats (and most other things), I just prefer specialized models.

You can try to make a ski boat into a dual purpose craft by making it wider and adding more seats, which has been done with the pickle fork front end design. It appeals to some, but what you ultimately end up with is a heavier, wider boat that doesn't handle as well and costs more. There alway is a trade off involved when trying to be everything to everybody that a purist will not accept.

You can mess around with motors (nothing beats a center mount inboard for skiing) and log design (nothing beats a well designed fiberglass monohull for skiing) all that you want to make it an OK boat to ski behind and guess what you end up with? An OK boat to ski behind that cost more.

Mark me down as a guy who likes to use the right tool for the right job. I realize that this can be looked on as a luxury but it is one that I am willing to pay for.

My two cents.

I respectfully disagree. Tell that story to any of the "offshore" fisherman with whom the Verado is a popular choice because of it's reliability and slow speed qualities. Yes, it's designed well. The most technologically advanced outboard on the market with plenty of electrical/mechanical safeguards and the ability to run at WOT for extended periods.......or putt around on the back of a new Bennington. Mercury didn't put the cart before the horse with the Verado as your "friend" would like everyone to believe. It's a great engine, as well are all of the new generation outboards.

Back to the initial performance question. A 150 will be in the upper 30mph range and a 225 will be lower 40mph range.

Back