engine size performance

Wow.....a lot of interesting responses but none seems to address Tracy's question. I don't have the answer either by the way. I think the ones that ask "how will You use your boat" a large majority of the time are very important in deciding what size engine to choose. That is a lot of boat so if you have any thoughts of doing a fair amount of tubing or sking, buy the larger engine if you can afford it. If you are on a small lake and will just be cruising around, the "smaller" engine may be fine.

Just wondering if you checked out the performance bulletins on the main site? It doesn't have exact numbers for your particular setup, but I'm sure you can guesstimate using them. Just go to resources, performance, scroll down to the bottom and pick one close. Or there is the members zone props and power, "list your specs here" topic, might be something close in there.

Derrick

Back to the initial performance question. A 150 will be in the upper 30mph range and a 225 will be lower 40mph range.
The question was:.looking at putting either a Merc. 150 or 225 Verado on it (2575 RCWCP). Wondering what type of performance / speed these 2 engines will deliver on this pontoon?

Maybe I should have posted my response to the question before I went on my rant LOL!

It's a big boat capable of carrying quite a load of passengers, full coolers, etc. I'd go for the 225hp.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP has not chimed back in here to fill us in on any more details so it becomes hard to know what may be best for him at this point.

The OP has not chimed back in here to fill us in on any more details so it becomes hard to know what may be best for him at this point.
My two cents. My previous boat was a 2575, 2-25" toon with lifting strakes. Honda 115 which I feel/hear has excellent low torque. Top end about mid-high 20s. Could water (minimally ?) ski and tube, but that was about it. Great milage though. 150 should be better, my new one is 225, perfect for me. Gerry

You are absolutely correct. The OP was on board today I see.....with no input, response, or comment of any kind. It seems a bit odd to me. I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the RCW "trolling" model LOL!

My (friend) is a certified Mercury Marine Mechanic of 10 years, I will take his advice, if you want a Varado by all means run out and by one, or two.

My biggest problem with the Verado is that they're so expensive to get installed. You almost need an Electrical Engineer to install the fly by wire gearshift/throttle. Then, you have all the options like multi use gauges which include flowmeters, GPS linked speedometer, NEMA spec'd GPS's/fish finders. Then, they have internal power steering pumps that hook up to hydraulic steering. Every one of these items is in the $ thousands. And you also have the high initial purchase price of these supercharged engines.

Marine dealerships have a general lack of quality shop personnel. The vast majority of their business from February until August, and service departments run short of help on purpose--rather than layoff mechanics from September to February. So few marine mechanics have the formal training, general intelligence or the computerized engine analyzers to diagnose engine problems from these CAN/BUS boat engines. When these new motors get some years behind them, I'm not optimistic that fast, reliable service is going to be possible. I personally don't want to pay $110 per hour--like my Jaguar dealership gets for service labor.

I think I'll just stick with the new Mercury 150 hp 4 stroke motor that can be installed with simple tach/gauges and a cable style throttle/gear shift. Nothing fancy. And, it can be bought for $3K less than the 150 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

Well said Bamaman. The new technology of the Verado is overwhelming to many mechanics. But, there are plenty of dealerships with qualified techs installing them every day. Granted, Verados are very costly. You and I want simplicity, others want high tech and are willing to pay for it. To each there own.

SUZUKI POWER !!!!!!!

Bamaman, Ben&Suzy, I'm afraid the simple days are about to be a memory. The technology advances come in leaps and bounds now days.

I'm old enough [barely] to remember when auto mechanics fretted over the new fangled electronic ignition, feedback carburetors and those pesky disc brakes.

The marine industry is going through the same thing now, no more carbs, points and magneto's.

Now, even on your 150, fuel injection, electronic ignition, computer controls etc.

The real challenge will be training and keeping skilled techs to work on them, and not every local marina will be able to keep up, so as Bamaman said, service may be hard to come by.

Hopefully the end result will be similar, better fuel economy, lower emissions, extended service intervals, longer engine life, better overall performance.

But hey, you aint ridin on granpa's old pontoon made from 55gal barrels and plywood either :D

Call me crazy or old school, but I'll put my trust in traditional steering. I'm not exactly sure what happens to that fly-by stuff when there's an electrical problem.....@ WOT!!!?? It's cables or hydraulics for me!

Thanks to all my new Bennie Friends for sharing your thoughts on what size engine I should choose. You all brought up topics to think about and we sure did that.........but in the end we are going with the 225HP and looking forward to getting the boat soon. I just received an email the boat is build and being shipped this week:)

Commoadore you are right ......one of the most irrationaly purchases for me....lol.....but going to enjoy the heck out of it.

Looking forward to talking to you all again soon....and thanks to all again for your thoughts!!

Tracy & Lisa T. B) B) :rolleyes:

Thanks to all my new Bennie Friends for sharing your thoughts on what size engine I should choose. You all brought up topics to think about and we sure did that.........but in the end we are going with the 225HP and looking forward to getting the boat soon. I just received an email the boat is build and being shipped this week:)

Commoadore you are right ......one of the most irrationaly purchases for me....lol.....but going to enjoy the heck out of it.

Looking forward to talking to you all again soon....and thanks to all again for your thoughts!!

Tracy & Lisa T. B) B) :rolleyes:
Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy !

You will not be sorry going with the 225 Verado. I was going to go with a 150 on my 2574GLI ESP until I thought about it some, and the dealer pitched in with some discounts, and I went with the 250 Verado Pro. I am 235 lbs, and like to slalom still, and coming from a 502 powered 20' Baja, was worried about getting up with a toon. My Bennington will rip my arms off at half throttle, whoever here mentioned a lack of torque on a toon hasn't driven a supercharged Merc, they are awesome out of the hole, and I am running a shade under 50 with the boat a hair over the upper rev range. Mileage? Well my lake is 6 miles by 1.5 miles and the majority of the time I am floating and enjoying the sun, or riding the waverunner, and waverunners make my toon seem like a fuel economy champ. Of course it uses more fuel than my friends 70 hp Benny, but they can't pull a kid tubing over 16 mph or so.

Have fun with your new toon!!

You will not be sorry going with the 225 Verado. I was going to go with a 150 on my 2574GLI ESP until I thought about it some, and the dealer pitched in with some discounts, and I went with the 250 Verado Pro. I am 235 lbs, and like to slalom still, and coming from a 502 powered 20' Baja, was worried about getting up with a toon. My Bennington will rip my arms off at half throttle, whoever here mentioned a lack of torque on a toon hasn't driven a supercharged Merc, they are awesome out of the hole, and I am running a shade under 50 with the boat a hair over the upper rev range. Mileage? Well my lake is 6 miles by 1.5 miles and the majority of the time I am floating and enjoying the sun, or riding the waverunner, and waverunners make my toon seem like a fuel economy champ. Of course it uses more fuel than my friends 70 hp Benny, but they can't pull a kid tubing over 16 mph or so.

Have fun with your new toon!!
I like that story !

BTW, What did you do for a trailer....Tire Size ??

Good choice. You'll be much happier with the 225's overall performance advantage, especially with a load. More torque = less work. My friends with the big Verados really like em. They've been problem free.

I know I'm a little late in responding, but I purchased the Verado 225 last year with my 2011 2275 RCW LTD ESP. Let me tell you, I absolutely love that engine! I have a few friends that have some $80K - $90K Mastercraft and Tige ski boats in which I let them take my Bennie for a drive. All three friends were absolutely blown away by this motor. First, they said they never felt anything like it before with the digital throttle and how smooth it felt along with instant power. The torgue was unreal. At full throttle hitting about 44 mph we could talk at normal tone without having to scream. Made everybody enjoy not only the conversation but the tunes we had pumping without hearing any loud engine noise. Going slow, you can't even hear the engine is on! I don't know how many times I have to look at my RPMs to make sure the engine is still running. And....I also pulled one of my friends last year barefooting!!! You don't see that everyday on a pontoon! I took a video of it, but accidently earased it from my camera. I'll have to shoot another video when the water warms up here in Wisconsin this year! Overall, not only love my Bennie, but the Verado 225 equally as well.

Cheers!

Sorry for the delay to your question: I bought a Trailmaster, (http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/trailmaster_models.php?brand=pontoon) custom built to fit the longer ESP tube out the back, with 12" E rated tires, to keep the overall height under 8' so it will go in my garage. Got the swing away tongue, LED lights, and disc brakes. It pulls like a dream.
Exact trailer I got except for the 14" tires. Had a trailmaster on my old Benny and loved it. The center bunks on the new trailer fit my ESP perfectly. Those dual disc brakes are terrific! What is your prop setup ? Those are some great numbers. Gerry

16" Merc Enertia. Love it, awesome holeshot, but I wish I had gotten the 17" as I can run out the top end of the rev range.

Exact trailer I got except for the 14" tires. Had a trailmaster on my old Benny and loved it. The center bunks on the new trailer fit my ESP perfectly. Those dual disc brakes are terrific! What is your prop setup ? Those are some great numbers. Gerry

Back