engine size

bigrussie

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 2575 RSI with a 135 hp Evinrude on it. However, the specs say the max engine size is a 115. Just wondering is all. Motor too big? Never saw it in the water.

Evinrude made the 135 engine back in mid 70's, and didn't make another until 2006. I assume you have the 2006 model motor.

The Evinrude 135 is a high output motor, and it's 6 cylinders--vs. 4 cylinders on 115 hp motors. The 135 gear ratio is 1.85-to-1, in comparison to comparable engines having 2.0:1 to 2.25:1 gears. The engine's redline is between 4,750 to 5,250 rpm's, which is relatively low for a 2 stroke.

A relatively low pitch prop may be required to get the engine's max redline within the above limits.

Your should boat should perform great with this engine. I really wouldn't be surprised if you see low rpm's at cruise speeds.

My Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke is off a bass boat, and it is also geared like your Evinrude. While I have a hard time obtaining high rpm's, I love the quietness and efficiency of the low rpm cruise. I seldom ever get over 3500 rpm's, but it's really got power and acceleration "out of the hole."

Like they say, nobody mentions that they've got too much horsepower on their pontoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2006 Evinrude 135 is a high output motor, and it's 6 cylinders--vs. 4 cylinders on 115 hp's. The 135 engine's gear ratio is 1.85-to-1, in comparison with some comparable engines using between 2.0 and 2.25:1 gearing. The engine's redline is between 4,750 to 5,250 rpm's, which is relatively low for a 2 stroke. I think they only had this specific engine for 2006.

Just make sure the engine's max redline falls within the above limits, and a relatively low pitch prop may be required. Your should boat should perform great with this engine. I really wouldn't be surprised if the cruise speed is at very low rpm's.

My Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke is off a bass boat, and it is also geared like your Evinrude. While I have a hard time getting the rpm's very high, I love the quietness and efficiency of the low rpm cruise. I seldom ever get over 3500 rpm's.

Like they say, nobody mentions that they've got too much horsepower on their pontoon.

I just bought a 2003 2575 RSI with a 135 hp Evinrude on it. However, the specs say the max engine size is a 115. Just wondering is all. Motor too big? Never saw it in the water.
If what you're saying is that you have a capacity plate that shows a max allowed HP of 115hp, then yes... you have too much motor. At least, you do according to Uncle Sugar.

However, if the boat was registered with that engine on it and has already been issued a boat number sticker before you even bought it, then they'll probably keep renewing it. Just don't go bringing the subject up if you know what I mean.

If what you're saying is that you have a capacity plate that shows a max allowed HP of 115hp, then yes... you have too much motor. At least, you do according to Uncle Sugar.

However, if the boat was registered with that engine on it and has already been issued a boat number sticker before you even bought it, then they'll probably keep renewing it. Just don't go bringing the subject up if you know what I mean.
Uncle Sugar. I like that. Someone...quick, alert the Power to Weight Ratio Czar!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Ericscher

If your plate states your max hp is a 115 then yes you are over powered, I do not know what state you are in but in Kansas if you would be stopped by the fish and game you will soon have a ticket with your name on it, (if they catch it)

I dont think a dealer is legally able to put an oversized (HP) motor on a boat, once sold from the dealer the owner can do what they want.

I found this same situation out back in the late 80's I purchased a 16' bass boat with a 150 and the hull plate stated nothing higher than a 125 the fish and game stated then to sell the boat or keep paying tickets when pulled over, the weird thing is that the fish and game usually do not check this because most boats are legal in this regard.

I agree with Ericscher

If your plate states your max hp is a 115 then yes you are over powered, I do not know what state you are in but in Kansas if you would be stopped by the fish and game you will soon have a ticket with your name on it, (if they catch it)

I dont think a dealer is legally able to put an oversized (HP) motor on a boat, once sold from the dealer the owner can do what they want.

I found this same situation out back in the late 80's I purchased a 16' bass boat with a 150 and the hull plate stated nothing higher than a 125 the fish and game stated then to sell the boat or keep paying tickets when pulled over, the weird thing is that the fish and game usually do not check this because most boats are legal in this regard.

Thanks for the help. I bought the boat in Nebraska from a dealer that sells chain saws and golf carts, etc.,really nice operation. He buys boats in the fall and restores them over the winter to keep his guys busy. It had been registered in Colorado before which is where I live now. I won't advertise that it is over capacity. He is storing it for me till ice out. Can't wait to use it. I'll enter the specs when I get the boat in the spring.

Your biggest concern is with insurance. If you have a unfortunate accident, they can deny your claim due to too much hp. Had a buddy get screwed from that. Boat was set up with twin 115 evinrudes but plate stated 225hp. Went to make a insurance claim, and they denied the claim

Todd

Your biggest concern is with insurance. If you have a unfortunate accident, they can deny your claim due to too much hp. Had a buddy get screwed from that. Boat was set up with twin 115 evinrudes but plate stated 225hp. Went to make a insurance claim, and they denied the claim

Todd
The boat is covered with snow in Nebraska where I bought it. I haven't seen the actual plate, didn't check it when I bought the boat. I was going by the online specs and got to wondering about the proper size motor. I will wait to see the actual plate and let you know. I live in Colo where the boat was registered before. I will launch it in Lake Granby once the ice is out and if the boat is safely powered.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Bigrussie.

Back